S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brand New Exedy Clutch Slipping?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Exedy Clutch Slipping?

I replaced my OEM Honda S2000 (Year 2000) clutch last month at 33k miles after getting some transmission work done (they told me the clutch was mostly worn so it would be a good idea to replace it).

I bought an Exedy OEM clutch kit from Grip-Force (huge ebay seller). Package arrived fine, transmission shop said it all looked in order. It's been around a month, and now i'm getting some strange symptoms. When I reach 6-7k rpm on a hard acceleration, the RPM will skyrocket (as if I shifted to a much lower gear) on 1st gear and the car begins to stall. This also happened on 2nd gear. If I accelerate slowly, it won't happen.

If I shift it out and back into first, it fixes itself. Is this the sign of a slipping clutch? I'll be taking it into the shop to get checked out soon, but I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Exedy OEM clutches? I bought it off of a recommendation, but now I'm having doubts!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me. Always wondered about that grip force stuff.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Grip-Force told me they needed to see pictures of the components, front and back, and that a possible problem might be that the transmission ship did not resurface the flywheel (I have no idea if they did or not). I will ask them to find out.

This is a shame. I bought the car and it turned out the synchros were bad, so i've already spent $2100 on the car in the first month and a half I've owned it! Now I have this problem!

Strangely enough, I could have sworn I felt the same thing happen once or twice before the clutch was replaced last month. I guess it would make sense that the old clutch was starting to slip, however, could it be some other problem not related to the clutch?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Never heard of a clutch slipping without the "smell" of a slipping clutch Makes me wonder if it could be something else "tranny" u shouldn't of had to ask if it was slipping, u would have known it was.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 AM

well to be honest I've never been in a car with a slipping clutch, I would imagine thats what it was.

So a slipping clutch will usually have the smell with it? Because that's def. not happening.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by yelli,Sep 23 2009, 11:53 AM
well to be honest I've never been in a car with a slipping clutch, I would imagine thats what it was.

So a slipping clutch will usually have the smell with it? Because that's def. not happening.
Yes,I have spun a clutch and it makes a big stink.No way u would have missed it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM

you'd smell it, no doubt about it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Well Damn

I did notice that earlier, it happened at 6k rpm (on 1st), and I tried pushing it a bit and it began sputtering as if it was red-lining (at 6k) with a lot of shaking. No smell though...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM

was the clutch pedal adjusted? where does it grab? high or low?

try adjusting the clutch at the master cylinder (get your mechanic to adjust it if you don't know how). if the master cylinder isn't letting the clutch out enough, it will slip.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 PM

It grabs pretty high up, similar to the stock clutch I had before.

I don't mess with anything under the car since I don't know enough. I have to rely on the mechanic shop, since their work is guaranteed I hope they look at it for free

Quick Reply: Brand New Exedy Clutch Slipping?