S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Building better pistons..

Old 12-04-2001, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building better pistons..

Honda stock pistons start to (typically) break down at ~12 psi, and generally can be lightened up a bit. Pistons are made for a wide variety of engines from a wide variety of parts makers.

I'm looking into pistons, so I wanted to hear any feedback or knowledge that you guys are willing to impart.

Are lighter pistons ever going to be available specifically for this car?

Titanium pistons? How much more do they cost?

Who makes good custom pistons, that I could trust to make a nice set for me, at any cost? How about a slightly-less-than-at-any-cost cost?

Generally speaking, to piston makers make lightweight rods to go with them?

If you have anything to add, even just a tidbit of knowledge or anecdotal evidence, drop it in here. I'll dote on every word like I would the last starburst in a pack.

cd
Old 12-04-2001, 09:44 AM

If JE Pistons already doesn't have a piston available, you can send JE Pistons a stock piston to go off of they can make you custom pistons of what ever compression you would like...Same goes for the rods just contact Crower or any of the top manufactures and you will prob. just have to send them a stock rod to go by..
Old 12-04-2001, 12:24 PM

wiseco
Old 12-04-2001, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JE Pistons does an excellent job, and they take care of you.

You can send in an original piston, or they will fax you a form to fill out with all the measurements, I very much doubt they have some on the shelf for the F20c

I will guess that they would have a difficult time getting as much out of new pistons than what honda gave us in the F20c, we already have forged Al lightweight pistons, only benifit you may get is a gram or two lighter and a different compression ratio.

Forged Al is the norm for high performance, I havnt seen anyone delve into Ti pistons . . . just rods, valves, valvetrain stuff.

Again, I've been very happy with pistons I get from JE

Oh Yeah, Crower can make you rods and Your pistons should cost in the area of 500$ for a set of 4, they'll hook you up with rings and pin keepers(JE).
Old 12-04-2001, 12:44 PM

How much to a good set of forged Ti rods cost?
Old 12-05-2001, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm, heh well now were talking bucks, prolly between 500 to 600$ PER rod . . .
I havnt seen any manufacturer specifying forged when talking Ti so I wouldnt know if they would be cast or not. I havnt found the budget for those on my other engines, but when I do my F20c, I will. The high RPM means you can free up big power up there with lighter reciprocating parts.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:49 AM

Titanium is actually heavier than forged aluminum, and if you're breaking aluminum pistons, you have big problems. Crower will custom make you titanium rods, takes about 2 months, and 700 per rod. My personal favorite piston maker is Wiseco. Chris, if you ever have any questions on building your motor, please don't hesitate to ask, this is an area I have MUCH experience with.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:07 AM

Wiseco makes a good piston, we have used them when building up some of our motorcycle racing engines. A lighter piston means that you have less friction and jerk in the engine, helps it run smoother at higher RPM as well as a little more power. I don't think that you would really need to go with Titanium rods, crower makes an exceltent product, and they are about 1/3 of the price of Titanium. Good Luck!

Walz
Old 12-11-2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by ChrisD
How much to a good set of forged Ti rods cost?
the cost of the piston is pretty cheap, the most cost in this project would be the installation charge.
pistons should run around 500-700 with new rings. if you get new pistons, better upgrade to better rings and also upgrading the valve/spings would be a good idea.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:52 AM

Upgrading the valve springs wouldn't be worth while. The only reason to do this is to put a pretty radical cam in, or turn a higher power band. The valve springs in the S are more than likely very high quality, aka not every engine out there can turn 9,000 and keep the valves from floating.

Walz

Quick Reply: Building better pistons..