S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CAI- do they really make a difference? I think so- let me tell you why!

Old 03-05-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put a RM Racing intake on my car right after break-in w/ the cold air option. I know everyone calls this the hot air intake; but, I believe it's better than stock. After installing this intake I could chirp 2nd gear which I know many of us can. At the time I was running 285/30/18 wheels and that's alot of meat. A month later I decided to remove the cold air option and just run the filter the way it's sold w/o the cold air option. At the same time I installed a Spoon header and was unable to chirp the tires at all. Today I installed my Mugen Hood and the Mugen CAI. The spoon header was left on and no other changes were made. I can now chirp the tires easily and the car pulls much stronger all around. One thing that I did notice is that the car feels as if it has a mini vtec engagament at 3-3500 rpms and the vtec engagement at 6200 rpm is much more pronouned like it used to be before removing the cold air option on the RM Racing intake. All along I blamed the header for these "losses" and now it seems that the cold air really helps this engine lay down more hp/tq. Sidenote: the Mugen CAI is almost silent when compared to the RM Racing intake. Just my 0.02 worth by trial and error.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks Really nice I love that hood and esp the CAI.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:25 PM

I think you being able to chirp your tires has more to do with you learning how to drive the car and less with the modifications you have added. I/H increase power in higher RPMs and will be less evident at lower, especially your launch and/or shift points.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by DEEZ
I think you being able to chirp your tires has more to do with you learning how to drive the car and less with the modifications you have added. I/H increase power in higher RPMs and will be less evident at lower, especially your launch and/or shift points.
I guess I learned how to drive overnight. I did have a dream I was at a driving school
Old 03-05-2002, 03:57 PM

Bads2k,

Which Mugen Intake is that? The one that funnels out to the front of the grill, or just the short version? I have the Mugen intake also, and love that damn thing!
Old 03-05-2002, 04:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappy
[B]Bads2k,
Old 03-05-2002, 04:03 PM

King told me their is a difference in performance, but only if you don't have a front liscence plate. My understanding is the intake was shortened because of front liscence plates, and also because the "short" version is designed in conjuction with the Mugen Bumper.

I live in FL, so I really wanted the snorkel intake, since fl doesn't require front plates.

Nick
Old 03-05-2002, 04:08 PM

It's the short version. I know some people were having problems with the air flow diverting around the radiator where the long snorkel went thru the barricade. The short snorkel doesn't go thru it. It goes on top and in front of. So when the grill area gets pressurized from forward speed the snorkel gets pressurized also. I do miss the intake sound at vtec but I love the kick of the CAI.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:04 PM

i think this theory is all in your head.. i dont think a CAI can make a difference and make you chirt your tires ..
Old 03-07-2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by bayarea408
i think this theory is all in your head.. i dont think a CAI can make a difference and make you chirt your tires ..
So you don't hink that there is a point where there is just enough hp/tq to chirp 2nd or not.? I don't see where it's hard to believe that the S2K is borderline on power to allow us to chirp 2nd gear. Sounds like half of us can and half can't. I believe that the few hp/tq pts. gained by this mod was enough to put me back over that raged edge.

Quick Reply: CAI- do they really make a difference? I think so- let me tell you why!