S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CAI problems

Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up CAI problems

Ok, so I bought an eBay CAI for $30, and received it today... please don't flame me for buying a cheap eBay intake, I knew what I was getting into, and I see absolutely no reason to pay $250 for a pipe with an air filter on it.

Anyway, here's what I bought:

It's basically an exact replica of the AEM, but where the AEM has 2 connection points for hoses, this doesn't, it just has holes. See below:

For the hole with the 5/16" rubber reducer, I imagine I can just cut a small piece of 1/3" outer diameter aluminum pipe from a hardware store and use it as a coupler to connect the hose there, but my problem is with the other hole.

I can't figure out how to connect the hose on the right (3/4" inner diameter) to the intake with that hole there. Should I just get a piece of 3/4" aluminum pipe welded on there at a muffler shop or something? My friend suggested JB welding a piece of pipe in there, but I'm not sure how well that would seal and if it would even hold the pipe...

Any ideas? I'm just trying to find a way to make this work if possible...

Again, if you're just going to post "OMG what a moron, you should have paid $250 for the AEM," please don't. I have many things I want to spend my money on, and a $250 piece of pipe with an AEM sticker on it is not one of them. Right now, I'm just trying to make this work, since everything about it is great except the damn hose attachment points.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try emailgin the seller and asking them. i'm sure they have heard the question before. Not to say they have any clue what to do but maybe someone has ordered from them and found a solution and told them. Who knows. Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JB Weld will work fine for what you are doing...and it is the cheapest route. JB Weld is more than strong enough and if you apply it all the way around it should be air tight.

JB Weld is like uber duct tape...getto, but can be useful. I've even seen someone patch a cracked block with it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JB weld will work. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Use it sparingly and try to push the hose all they way down over it (once its dry) to cover it up. Like NegCamber said ghetto but useful. Just be careful with it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 AM

i just took my to a shop and they welded on the other two pieace for $20 and I e-mail the seller and he refund like 10 buck back so I really got it done for 10 bucks....yeah I got an ebay CAI too cause Im going ITBs
Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I think I might just JB weld it. It does say that it's strong enough for engine blocks and driveshafts, so I think it can hold a piece of metal onto my intake
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM

I'm sure JB weld will work fine for this purpose.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM

I actually ended up going to Pepboys and I found something called an "air intake install kit" that had about 7 or 8 different size plastic tubes and 5 or 6 rubber reducers. This pretty much made my life easy, since I didn't have to JB weld metal to metal and could basically just stick the rubber reducer in the hole, find the right tube, and attach the hose. It cost $7, and it solved all my problems (one of the holes was very slightly too big, so I did have to use a little JB weld here and there, but other than that it worked great). I'll get some pictures of my engine bay tomorrow and post them here.

Also, on a related note, I have had a check engine light on since my first attempt at installing this, and I'm not really sure why.

I took out my stock airbox at a friend's house, but couldn't get the CAI to fit the first time, so I put the airbox back in and started it up, and I got a check engine light. I had to drive it home, and it seemed fine, so I did... the next day (today) I drove back to my friend's house and installed the CAI, but it still has a CEL.

The car runs fine and seems pretty smooth, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Things I think it might be:

1) something to do with cleaning the throttle body (we did this while the stock airbox was off, and my friend said it might have changed the idle speed enough to cause a CEL)
2) vacuum lines are crossed somewhere -- I'm almost positive everything is correct, I double-checked everything using the "vacuum line routing" pinned thread, and all the seals seem good.
3) low on coolant (I highly doubt this, but a bit of coolant did leak out during the first and second install)
4) something else?

Any ideas? I'm having my mechanic check it out tomorrow, so I'll see what he says. Thanks, and sorry for the long post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you reset it at any time? or you just waiting for it to stop complaining?