S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Camshaft Tower Caps

Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Tower Caps

Hello guys, I have a problem with my s2k. I recently was getting ready to go to work one morning and my car wouldn't start. I took it to a mechanic and he also was having trouble finding out why it wouldn't start. He thought it was an electrical problem and made me buy an new computer and immobilizer. Next thing you know that wasn't the problem. After 3 long weeks of having my car at his shop he found the problem. One of the camshaft caps is broken according to him and he said I can't just replace it, I have to buy a whole new set. He has another s2000 at the shop he doesn't use anymore. He has 3 caps and can't find the other one. I researched online that there's places you can send them so they can machine them so that they match that certain camshaft. Can you guys help me out with what I can do? Because he gave me an estimate of replacing the head cylinder and it's over 2gs. I don't want to spend that much money on it since I plan on selling it.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM

From my understanding, Cam caps from different heads aren't interchangeable. So "his" cam caps will need to be line honed for "your" current head. This will involve removing the cylinder head, taking it to the machine shop, performing the line hone & etc.

You run the chance of the cam binding (or worse) when just replacing one.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by osoquik
From my understanding, Cam caps from different heads aren't interchangeable. So "his" cam caps will need to be line honed for "your" current head. This will involve removing the cylinder head, taking it to the machine shop, performing the line hone & etc.

You run the chance of the cam binding (or worse) when just replacing one.
Yeah he was explaining that to me earlier. Where can I get that done at? Is there an online place I can send it to?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Any machine shop can perform this. I would recommend finding a machinist/shop that has worked on a f20/22c (or least an i-4 cyl), though. Long story short, a buddy had a primarily v8 machine shop rebuild his 4g63. The engine destroyed the main bearings within the first couple hundred miles, trashing the crank & etc.

Try calling some local machine shops or ask your mechanic.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by osoquik
Any machine shop can perform this. I would recommend finding a machinist/shop that has worked on a f20/22c (or least an i-4 cyl), though. Long story short, a buddy had a primarily v8 machine shop rebuild his 4g63. The engine destroyed the main bearings within the first couple hundred miles, trashing the crank & etc.

Try calling some local machine shops or ask your mechanic.
Thanks man, I'll try looking around.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't think you can get the existing ones machined AFAIK.

You basically need a matching set of 10, either new or all from the same car.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM

When I had some of mine get scored recently, my research supported what the others are saying that you need all 5 locations as a matched set. From what I understand, once they are initially cast, the full set is mounted and align honed. Unfortunately, that also technically means they are matched to the original head also which I suspect is why Honda only sells the caps with the head. However, many people including my self have had no problems using a set from one head on another head.

As for combining pieces from different sets and trying hone them to match, I'd be afraid the cam journal to cap clearance would be to large by the time you bored them all to match up. Think about it, if the journal bore in one cap was slightly offset from the next one, the only way to get them to line up would be to either oversize to holes or have oblong holes, both options that could lead to incorrect clearances. I've never done it though, so perhaps the difference from one set to another maybe be so slight that it won't create problems.

Why don't you post in the Want To Buy forum that you are looking for a set? That's what I did and received a couple responses very quickly.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

You cannot line bore or hone unless you want a serious drop in oil pressure.

You need a 10 piece matched set of caps. They can come from any cylinder head and put on you head.

I have moved 10pc sets around from different heads many times.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Guys, I know the cam towers/caps are matched sets, but what about specific camshafts? Are they also matched to the 10pc set?
Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

The cams are not matched to the tower sets.

Any cam can be used in any 10pc set.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Tower Caps