S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can shock absorbers be stored for prolonged period?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can shock absorbers be stored for prolonged period?

Hi guys, just a quick question: Can shock absorbers be stored for prolonged periods (like serveral years)?

The reason I'm asking this is that I am having the chance to buy a set of good condition OE shock absorbers at a fairly good price. I recently had my shocks changed, so I believe they will be trouble-free for who-knows-how-long . My concern is that, what if in the distant future that I need new shocks again and by then they may be hard to find. I am thinking of buying a set for spare.

But a friend of mine suggests against it. He reasons that shock absorbers shouldn't be stored for such prolonged period, all those oil circuits and seals inside will seize or crack over a long period of inaction.

Is he right (that shock absorbers can become junk just for sitting there)? Or it is a smart move to store up on some spare shocks (for when I need them replaced in, say, 7-8 years down the road)?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM

I don't see why not. Aren't they stored in a factory for long periods anyway?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by S is love S is life
I don't see why not. Aren't they stored in a factory for long periods anyway?

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't store them in a damp basement but otherwise I don't see a problem. I did the same thing - I bought a used set several years ago and I'm sitting on them. It's a matter of time before I'll have to replace them and I figure a good cheap low mileage set will be harder to find in the future.

I did the same thing with headlights. I picked up a clean pair with bulbs and ballasts a few years back for a reasonable price. Mine are getting pretty dull and I'm on borrowed time with my original Xenon HIDs. Clean used headlights are getting pricey.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
I wouldn't store them in a damp basement but otherwise I don't see a problem. I did the same thing - I bought a used set several years ago and I'm sitting on them. It's a matter of time before I'll have to replace them and I figure a good cheap low mileage set will be harder to find in the future.

I did the same thing with headlights. I picked up a clean pair with bulbs and ballasts a few years back for a reasonable price. Mine are getting pretty dull and I'm on borrowed time with my original Xenon HIDs. Clean used headlights are getting pricey.
Right! Guess there is no harm stocking up on a set of shocks than... if we intend to keep our beloved rides for sometime. I am more concerned with storage space than damp basement as I live in tiny apartment. I am also concerned with this "gatherer instinct" turning into an obsession... the list can go on and on when you think about it.