S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

can somebody explain the s2000 transmission, PLEASE!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
I honestly think your tranny is fine. The going into first issue is normal. Also, shifting the s2000 tranny can be notchy at times. Try revving the car a little higher before shifts. The s2000 tranny is smooth as butter when shifting at redline but isn't at its best at lower RPMs. Mine feels rough sometimes going to third as well. It's the nature of this tranny
This, especially on the AP1. Mine won't feel entirely smooth until I've been rowing through the gears on a spirited drive. Letting it idle for ten mins is not nearly enough.

Try changing your shifting methods. When my gf first started driving the S she would constantly get a notch going into third. Once she learned that she needs to shift it almost like a gated shifter she was fine, I.e not doing the diagonal 2:3 shift.

And I never go into first unless I am at a complete stop.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine shifts good when cold and when I've been driving for about 15 minutes 3rd gear grinds at any RPM besides 0 lol. But it's my brass synchros I believe for sure. I'm going for the ap2 swap next month. I hate driving my car because of it. I really can't wait til I can VTec in 2nd and not have to skip shift.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're basically describing my trans word for word. Mine is a MY03 with only 50,000 miles. I've posted about it numerous times and had multiple shops look at it only to have most people tell me that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong and that it's just the nature of some of these transmissions in the AP1s especially. I still don't know if I truly buy that, but I've at least grown to accept that it's just how it's going to be at times. I have some good days and some bad days with it, but like you mentioned, mine also seems to behave a little better while it's still cold and seems to get notchier and more problematic as it warms up. IMO, it's a matter of taking the time and really getting in tune with how the trans behaves, and re-learning how to drive and shift accordingly.

I think the root cause of the third gear notchiness has to do with the syncros. If I either shift intentionally slow or intentionally fast, the syncros seem to stay within the right speed for a smooth shift, but if I don't think about it and shift nonchalantly, I get the third gear bump that you describe. Billman once explained it as the 2nd and 3rd gears within the case being very close together, but the throw being relatively far, which can easily result in the syncro timing being thrown off. (I apologize if I'm misrepresenting what you said, just my understanding)

There also might be a difference between this trans and the trans in your Civic since the Civic's shifter is likely a cable linkage rather than the hard linkage in the S. I imagine the cable linkage is a little more forgiving, thus feeling a little smoother.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the early transmissions were simply defective. My '00 went back to Honda under warranty three times, first for the so called 'stacking tolerance error', then for 'shaft tolerance', and finally for a bearing. It was always notchy and almost unusable when very hot but I had no recourse. Lubricant was always fresh and the clutch was exactly right. It was always pretty junky... from brand new.

It finally came apart on a hard 1-2 shift so I bought a salvage yard transmission out of a low mileage '02'. It is like night and day! This one works! Regardless of temp, rpm, shift speed, it works as designed. I did not know it was possible.

I can only conclude that the design and construction of these transmissions allows a wide margin in tolerances and performance. I hate to say it but maybe you have to shop for an acceptable unit on a trial and error basis.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really appreciate all the responses guys!

From what I'm gathering my tranny probably is messed up but like I said in my first post....some people are saying it's normal and some people are saying it's not

That's the most frustrating part...if I new something wAs wrong I would know what to fix and be done with it

The fact that so many people experience such a wide range of different things has me so confused on wether or not mine is messed up or not

And unfortunately buying a transmission or rebuilding mine are both costly options to just simply go for without knowing what's wrong first
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

Well since you've tried everything else...

Rebuilding the transmission isn't cheap first of all. A used transmission goes for about 1,000, tearing yours down and replacing the synchronizers will run you about a little more than half that, and that's if you do it yourself.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the problem is you.

Have another S2000 driver take your car for a ride. Don't tell them about the tranny shift issues. Let him drive it, don't direct him, just have him do some WOT runs and regular shifting.

After the drive ask him how the car drove and see what he says. Dont prompt him or ask him directly about the tranny.

If there really is a problem he will bring it up.

If he describes your problem, then it is not you, it is the trans. Replace it.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote name='Apex1.0' timestamp='1400784274' post='23171585']
I think the problem is you.

Have another S2000 driver take your car for a ride.

Anytime some one in my S2000 group drove my car (especially when it was hot) they wanted to know how I could live with all the grinding. I just ignored them knowing I had no easy solutions.

I don't think the problem is you and find it insulting that someone would accuse you of user error when discussing a known problem.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Did I accuse him of user error?

Some people are overly sensitive to certain things that are inherent to a particular car.

He might be picking up on something that others have not. His transmission may actually have a problem. It may be a little of both. I would like someone else, that is unbiased, to drive the car. If they agree with him, and they initiate it, then it is likely the car has an issue.

No need to be insulted. If you demand satisfaction we can arrange a duel... your call.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ive had some friends drive my car, who also drive s2000's and say they feel what i feel but they dont think its bad...i just disagree due to having driven their cars and not feeling what i feel in my car.

Having said that..the problem may be a little of me and the car.. thats the problem though..i dont know!

I dont think im bad at driving a manual...so i just find it weird that I feel what i feel in my car and in no other manual, s2000 or not.

Like i said, if my car was grinding or popping out of gear, i would almost be happier cause then i know something is wrong and what to do to fix it, but the sheer notchiness of this tranny when everyone glorifies this car for being buttery smooth is very aggravating...

Quick Reply: can somebody explain the s2000 transmission, PLEASE!