S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Can you fail OBDII inspection for a swapped ECU?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you fail OBDII inspection for a swapped ECU?

Not like an AEM EMS, that will obviously fail, but like in my case an AP2 with an AP1 ecu? Is the VIN# of the car in the ECU at all? Someone was telling me that the ECUs are matched to cars by VIN#.

My car runs fine on the AP1 ecu with no CELs, and obviously the ECU can complete its drive cycles and pass an OBDII test, but will my car fail simply because the ECU will report a different VIN than my car's? Is that true?

Makes me wonder what happens if your ECU breaks and you have to get a replacement from Honda, what happens then?

Maybe there's no problem after all? Just wondering if anyone is familiar with OBDII testing and can shed some light on this. I have the the original ECU still and my valet key works with it, so I guess I can just swap it back in if I really wanted to, I just seem to screw up that panel a little more every time I take it off, so I'd rather not do it if I dont have to
Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

You need to find out the testing requirements in your state.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM

I thought OBBII testing was pretty standardized in emissions controlled counties all across the US

I mean, they plug into the computer, check for codes and readiness, and thats it, provided you don't fail for the reason I just mentioned.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Former Moderator

Not all test procedures are the same state to state, some procedures even change in different counties of the same state. Some states never require an inspection.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't think you're getting it

Im pretty familiar with state emissions testing. I know some states have no such thing. Here in NC some counties only have safety inpections while other have emissions testing

Regardless of the difference between counties and states, the actual OBDII test procedure should NOT be varying from state to state or county to county. The test simply involves hooking a machine up to the OBDII port on a vehicle to check for CELs and to make sure the readiness monitors are met. I HIGHLY doubt this "procedure" specific to OBDII testing changes from state to state or county to country, that would totally defeat the purpose of introducing a standardized system.....

you don't have the answer to my question.

I think I just found my answer though.

"An OBD II test is a simple plug-in computer check that verifies four things:
1. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
2. That the vehicle
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 21 2007, 10:25 PM
you don't have the answer to my question.
Neither do you.

You need to figure out how to pass your state's testing requirment. Have fun.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 21 2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think you're getting it

Maybe the dealer can tell me.
You just told a well known, Certified Honda Tech that he does not get it.

So you will need to look for your anwsers elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Feb 21 2007, 08:25 PM
Regardless of the difference between counties and states, the actual OBDII test procedure should NOT be varying from state to state or county to county.

Each state does indeed have different ways of smog checks that also can have different ways of testing the OBDII system.

I did a google search for you and found this web site for you, you should be able to contact them and find out what you are looking for.

The - North Carolina Department of Enviroment and Natural Resources (NCDENR)

http://daq.state.nc.us/motor/inspect/

Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are only so many things you can ask a OBD2 check to cover. As far as I know all any of them check is that there are no emission codes in the last so many cycles or miles. My Mugen ECU has passed in two states and I would think the swap you have will pass without problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Feb 22 2007, 01:01 AM
There are only so many things you can ask a OBD2 check to cover. As far as I know all any of them check is that there are no emission codes in the last so many cycles or miles. My Mugen ECU has passed in two states and I would think the swap you have will pass without problem.
your Mugen ECU passes an actual OBDII test where they plug you in to the computer? that is really interesting!

You need to figure out how to pass your state's testing requirment. Have fun.
SlowS2k, please tell me what requirements someone has to pass for the OBDII test in your state then, I want to see how they differ from NC. If you're a honda technician you might be familiar with this information or could obtain it, if you can do inspections at your dealership.

Quick Reply: Can you fail OBDII inspection for a swapped ECU?