S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car moves while shifting (into first gear and second....clutch all the way in!)

Old 06-13-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car moves while shifting (into first gear and second....clutch all the way in!)

so many ppl here are well versed in car problems, so please, if you guys/gals can help me out, i'd really appreciate it. here's my problem:

when i have the clutch fully down and the car is at a standstill, i shift to first gear and i feel and hear this "ka-thump" (sounds like my tranny is EXTREMELY notchy) and the car actually moves an inch or so. i've read before about the clutch being readjusted? in second gear, i hear the same "ka-thump" (louder in second) and the car feels like it's shifting, i do feel it lurch forward a bit. anyways, when shifting to first or second, i FEEL (so does my gf) the car "ka-thump" and lurch. second gear, when it does that, is loud too....sort of embarassing.

been very busy for the last couple of months, so taking it to the shop is difficult (i've had my 2002 s2k for 2.5 months with 5k miles on it now....been happening from day 1).

is this hurting anything by letting it go on this long? how long will a repair of this nature take? how big of a job? anyone else having this problem?

btw, 3rd gear and up don't seem to have this problem.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
Old 06-13-2002, 07:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It does sound like your clutch is NOT able to fully disengage when it's to the floor. It shouldn't lurch since the car is relatively heavy compared to the size of the clutch as opposed to motorbikes. Motorcycle trannies do this all the time right after a cold start and gets much better once it's been put in gear the first time but gets better when warmed up. Does your tranny get better once warmed up? Do you happen to have your carpet bunched up under the clutch pedal? Never-the-less, you should have it looked at and properly adjusted. If you are a handy kinda guy, there is an adjustment that can be made at the clutch pedal itself under the dash. It involves moving the pedal farther from the floor when it's at rest. This allows the clutch to travel more when you push on it, thus causing the clutch plates to be further apart.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]It does sound like your clutch is NOT able to fully disengage when it's to the floor.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Former Moderator

that adjusts the clutch pedal, but the disk itself is self adjusting and moving the pedal only does so much. I know b/c I've had this problem

What I do if I have trouble getting it into first is to blip the throttle (just 1krpm, nothing much)...that loosens things up enough to make gear selection effortless.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:03 AM

my car does it to the dealer said its normal
Old 06-15-2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by TTSUPRA
my car does it to the dealer said its normal
hmmm, not sure it's normal. i've had many manuals before and some being hondas. none have done that. also, i've only seen this said about the S like once or twice on this board, or so i believe. i'll take it to the dealer when i get a chance. i suggest taking your's to another one just for peace-of-mind. or you can just wait it out and see what they say about mine. i'll post the results here. thanks all for the comments! you guys are, as always, very helpful!
Old 06-15-2002, 08:43 AM

my car doesnt totaly move it just makes a thump noise that you can hear and feel it makes a tiny little jerk.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by TTSUPRA
my car doesnt totaly move it just makes a thump noise that you can hear and feel it makes a tiny little jerk.
yeah, that's exactly what it does for me too! i was just exaggertating a bit to show my point. a definite, semi-loud thump and a quick, little jerk! first and second gear, but very inconsistent. i can never tell when it's going to do it, but when it does, it happens for a while...i guess until the next time i shut off the engine and restart. *sigh*...just annoying when it occurs and i'm not so sure it is doing something that may wear parts a bit faster. things cost money and i don't want unnecessary costs in the near future.

supratt....thanks for the information. at least now i can say it isn't just me! hopefully, they'll have a resolution and not say what the usual line was when the car first came out..."oh, that's fine, it's just one of the car's characteristics"....i hate when they say that, b/c it's just bs.

really appreciate it supratt. i'm glad someone knows what i'm experiencing! i'll let you know what happens at the dealer in about 3 weeks (too busy at work,etc right now). take care!
Old 06-15-2002, 02:22 PM

well im gonna take mine in for the 5th time because they took my bumper off to level out the head light and didnt put it on right so im gonna bring it in within a week and i'll go over this agian with the service manager. i'll let you know asap.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem in 1st, 2nd and 3rd since my last clutch job. I'm having it adjusted next week and that will hopefully solve it.

Quick Reply: Car moves while shifting (into first gear and second....clutch all the way in!)