S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Carbon Fiber intake, idea!

Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: we are looking into producing a Spoon replica snorkel using Aus2000's molds. This will be produced by Muz and we need to guage and record interest before starting. If you are interested please respond on this thread:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...837#post3369837

I have an idea for an intake that consists of two products already on the market.

First, I would like to retain the use of the stock aribox for many reasons. One being that I think Honda did a fair amount of R&D and it is a proven OEM piece. Second, I like the way it fills alot of space in the engine bay opposed to many aftermarket systems.

My initial complaint is the lack of fresh cold air entering the mouth of the intake. While heatsoak is the main issue, a slight raise in HP would be nice too. For this solution I like the Spoon snorkel, but I feel it is overpriced for its simple deisgn.

My next complaint is that though the factory airbox is clean and simple, there is much to be desired in a more stylish than plastic piece. My solution to this is the Back Yard carbon lid that looks very nice. This can be seen here http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catal...tail.php?ID=288

Finally:

My idea is to combine these two products by using a common weave, where as if you just bought both pieces- retailing over $800- you would have two different style carbon pieces. I was thinking maybe one of the fab type sponsors on here could make this, possibly one piece if it would work, and sell it for much less than the cost of the pricey JDM counterparts. We all know there are plenty of companies who have produced the snorkel replica. So maybe if they made both or a one piece we would have the best of all worlds.

- Matching carbon fiber
- Lower cost
- Retainment of stock box and low end torque
- Cold air benefit of snorkel/ reduction of heatsoak
- And maybe someone will make a little money (ie. sponsors)
- 10 minutes of fame for me

I think realistically this could be manufactured and sold for under $500 which would be a nice product for a fair price.

Any comments are welcome except for ones about my wife who is a dirty dirty tramp...
billy madison
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM

Anyone interested? Maybe if we generate enough excitement someone will produce it for us.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:25 PM

looks cool....could it be made with a kevlar layer to match the Spoon snorkel?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:36 PM

I've been playing with some fiberglass construction in preparation to play with some CF. One of the ideas I want to pursue was similar to this:

I want to make a stock airbox lid that integrates a spoon style snorkel (only with a bigger opening hopefully) as well as a comptech style airbox for increased air flow.

I'm very interested in seeing where this goes!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Please note that the BYS product is not a lid, but a cover for the existing lid. It is entirely aesthetic and only adds weight to the car.

I really don't think anyone could produce a one or two piece CF snorkel/lid and sell enough of them to make a reasonable profit for $500. Having made and marketed a fibreglass snorkel I have some experience in this area.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:13 PM

^ I remember you making the spoon replica snorkel... I think this is absolutley possible using a similar weave to what a carbon hood has. Though not certain of a price I think $500 is doable. Some of the companies making the cooling plate should be able to do this.

I would suggest the lid of the box being constructed of CFRP and the snorkel as well for strength and the aesthetic value to some. The amount of CF needed is not that much- Layed over plastic that is very cheap yet still lighter than the stock lid plus the benefit of the snorkel coming off of it..
Old 02-23-2004, 04:17 PM

I have 0 doubts that this can be done and a profit can me made at a cost of under $500 per unit. The only issue would be finding someone to do the work.

I am not looking to gain anything here but a quality part for my daily driver.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PrimoAP1
I have 0 doubts that this can be done and a profit can me made at a cost of under $500 per unit.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 PM

Ouch- I guess we can count you out in wanting one of these

I think it is quite possible look at the high cost of the JDM pieces that have way more carbon fiber and you pay a US company to have it shipped and their profit all adds in to the cost. And don't think for a second that your not paying a premium price for the name- ie. Mugen, J's, etc.

Carbon fiber is really not that expensive, and light weight ABS plastic is dirt cheap! I agree that producing the prototype will be a bit more costly, but in an order of 12-15 this can be had in the states for $500. You may have egged me on just enough to take this more serious!

G'day mate
Old 02-24-2004, 03:23 AM

Please do. And get back to us on price.

You're right I am not in the market for one as the Comptech SC is my intake of choice, but I like the idea.

I just don't think it is feasible at the price you suggest. I will gladly be proven wrong.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber intake, idea!