S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold Performance?

Old 12-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold Performance?

I have recently seen that a new carbon fiber intake manifold is soon to be released. I have read several posts that not much performance has been gained after modifing the S2000 stock manifold. Would I expect to see any increase in performance gains from such a manifold? Some say that It will help keep the intake air colder. I am using forced induction with a air water cooler and always looking for ways to keep the intake air cool. Some believe that a intake manifold gasket helps to separate the heat from the head. Other say that I will be loosing some water jackets that flow throughout the manifold so cold starts and running in cold weather cold be a problem. Is it really worth changing from a stock manifold?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

At this point IMHO the best point is you can save about 18 lbs by using a CF manifold over the stock aluminum one.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Honda-S2000VTec
I have recently seen that a new carbon fiber intake manifold is soon to be released.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a Hondata gasket with the stock intake manifold is a good mod - keeps cooler intake temps, and really stops the spiking you get in traffic with the standard setup. If it wasn't such a pain to install, I'm sure it would be very popular. Since you've the pain of the removing the intake manifold either way, I reckon the Hondata gasket is a better bet. In the scheme of things, the weight savings from a C/F intake manifold aren't much. If you run the Hondata gasket, and bypass the TB, you'd find it hard to beat that temperature wise. Not as flashy, but a proven way to remove the heating from coolant, and transfer from the head. Can't say how well it'll help a F/I car, but it's proven on an N/A car. I know that if I was starting modding from scratch, I'd do it again - even though the install's a pain, I've found it to be worth it on my N/A car.

-Brian.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:42 PM

Plus I hear the Hondata gasket is reusable. Does the gasket stop the coolant flow from the head into the intake manifold?
Old 12-28-2003, 03:44 PM

Old 12-28-2003, 05:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
Using a Hondata gasket with the stock intake manifold is a good mod - keeps cooler intake temps, and really stops the spiking you get in traffic with the standard setup. If it wasn't such a pain to install, I'm sure it would be very popular. Since you've the pain of the removing the intake manifold either way, I reckon the Hondata gasket is a better bet. In the scheme of things, the weight savings from a C/F intake manifold aren't much. If you run the Hondata gasket, and bypass the TB, you'd find it hard to beat that temperature wise. Not as flashy, but a proven way to remove the heating from coolant, and transfer from the head. Can't say how well it'll help a F/I car, but it's proven on an N/A car. I know that if I was starting modding from scratch, I'd do it again - even though the install's a pain, I've found it to be worth it on my N/A car.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:37 PM

I would add a cautionary note if that manifold includes the air tubes. The VTEC systems works on the principle of tuned resonance (Helmholtz) - if the aftermarket CF part is different in length, shape, diameter, etc. there is a real possibility that it will change things, and not necessarily for the better. I would be very careful and ask a lot of questions if I were considering this purchase. It may be tuned for different VTEC settings, and RPM - it might be tuned to make more juice at high rpm (good for racing) but you could lose some bottom end, which is not so good for street and auto-x.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
Old 12-28-2003, 09:30 PM

has anyone seen this new manifold yet?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Intake Manifold Performance?