S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

changing Oil When Maintance Light Comes On

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing Oil When Maintance Light Comes On

If you running full synthetic oil do you still change the oil when the light comes and tells you its time for a oil change? Or do you wait another thousand miles? Keep in mind this question is for full synthetic oil users only
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 AM

I had mine on for a bit before I changed it last time. It'd probably have been somewhere in the 6 or 7k mile range when I changed it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 AM

I usually just go by the miles not the light. I go like 5-6k before I change my oil. I use royal purple.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

You have an 06, which has mileage minder. Push the trip button a few times and it will tell you your oil life. I change mine when it gets to 15%

btw, this has nothing to do with syn. vs non-syn oil, OP.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go by mileage not by light. If possible, get a Used Oil Analysis done to really help determine what your oil change interval should be. A good synthetic driven in an engine under 'normal conditions' should last around 8-10k miles. Use under 'severe conditions' will bring that down to the 6-7k miles range.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
You have an 06, which has mileage minder. Push the trip button a few times and it will tell you your oil life. I change mine when it gets to 15%

btw, this has nothing to do with syn. vs non-syn oil, OP.
I think he means that generally synth allows longer oil change interval than dino. So if the maintainence minder is calibrated to dino oil (which is a pretty safe assumption), that would mean when using synth, one could wait a little longer to change the oil than when the minder tells you to.

Of course, at minder change time the oil is just as dirty dino vs synth. Synth advantage is it doesn't break down as quickly.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM

^its not calibrated for dino oil...its parameters are set from the factory which are based on driving conditions and mileage...it could come on at 5,000 miles or it could come on at 7,000 miles...the way i always looked at it was it was just a way to get people into the dealer to get work done...i change my oil every 4500 miles for synthetic and 3,000 miles for dino oil regardless of that light
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Yes correct its currently at 10% , I use mobile one ive had the car 1 year this week actually. I changed it last spring to mobil 1 full synthetic, now its saying its ready for a change but seeings how synthetic can be changed in longer intervals I was wondering if anybody just waited longer then when the reminder says its time for a change. Its been around 3500k since the my last change
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashton23
If you running full synthetic oil do you still change the oil when the light comes and tells you its time for a oil change? Or do you wait another thousand miles? Keep in mind this question is for full synthetic oil users only
Oil change intervals depends on more than just conventional versus synthetic. I do not rely on the maintenance light. As always, the best way to determine the best OCI's for your car, driving conditions, etc is to get a UOA. Generally speaking a synthetic should easily handle 5K to 7K but, again, get a UOA. IIRC (and I wouldn't recommend counting on that) Mobil 1 seems to have a tendency to shear quickly but I wouldn't count on anecdotal evidence from others.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashton23
My mechanic recommends changing oil at 9,000 but doing a filter only at 4,500. I'm using Mobil1

Quick Reply: changing Oil When Maintance Light Comes On