S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking/Popping Rear Suspension

Old 05-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clicking/Popping Rear Suspension

Okay. I have just installed my new KW V3 coilovers, as well as a T1R Bumpsteer kit. The front suspension assemblies have gone smoothly, however i'm getting a clicking/popping sound from the rear right assembly.

I can best describe it as a hard rub, that sounds like a pop when the suspension is compressed/decompressed. It is prominent when I start or stop abruptly, or when I'm driving slowly over small bumps.

I am at my wits end. I have tourque everything to specs that I touched while I was doing the install, greased it all... can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks guys.

Cam
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the T1R's. No need to worry, I have the same ones (the "race" ones correct?) I can't remember if they offered a street version but they will just make noise.

After a while mine went away but every now and then and will still make noise when I exit the car and make me feel fat.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Are you serious? If it is going to consistently make this much noise I will take them out... it is loud... I can clearly hear it in the cabin while I'm driving, as well as my gf as I drove into the driveway...

Were yours loud to begin with as well?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

The T1R rear bumpsteer kit has heim jointed rod ends. It's a straight up race part, not meant for quiet operation.

The OEM toe links have bushings for a reason.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Okay... I understand the difference between the bushings and rod ends...however if the noise was coming from both the passenger side and the driver side, I could accept that and live with it...

But it's only coming from the passenger side, the drivers side makes no noise.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

One of the heim joints is louder than the others. There is a reason that TC design's race bumpsteer kit is not recommended for the street, and they have a bushing equipped street parts.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Well my alignment guy will have to be limited with the toe adjustments then, because I'm putting the stock toe arms back in tomorrow

What a disappointment, although it is my fault for thinking they would be quiet like stock ones...
Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Reminds me of when a girl told me my brakes were bad because they were squealing (I had some Cobalt Race pads) and I said no, they are racing pads, they are supposed to make that noise.

She gave me a look like I was lying, so I got on them really hard to assure her that they worked

I've also had one girl complain that my car rides too rough, I responded with a simple "Ok."

Haha, leave them in and just explain the purpose of the noise then impress the girl with a crazy ass turn and say "See?"

Unless it just bothers you that bad. I love mine.

Edit:

Give it a week because my noise went away considerably after I drove around on them for a while.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,May 3 2008, 11:05 PM
The T1R rear bumpsteer kit has heim jointed rod ends. It's a straight up race part, not meant for quiet operation.

The OEM toe links have bushings for a reason.
Many seem to think it's OK to use race parts without additional maint and rebuilds and noise/Vibe/Harshness. Amazing that. Race parts are fantastic IF one is willing to put up with extra upkeep and rebuilds as well as a lack of civility, otherwise please consider using street intended parts. Yet another example of buying the wrong part for the intended usage. However, as I am in the business, must state that I primarily blame the merchants. God knows how many guys I have had to spend considerable time and loss of profit selling a less margined product BUT it is the right thing to do for the customer (and many will hate you for protecting them from themselves). Can't tell you how many BMW M3 Cabs I have turned away wanting Motons/JRZs!

I was labeled an idiot for suggesting race parts needed regular maintenance and rebuilding in the post attached.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=592646
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 AM

May I suggest one possible fix:

Try rotating the springs in the perch - without changing the ride height/cornerweighting. With changing the perch height simply twist the spring @90 degrees following it's coil winding - sometimes solves mystery popping, sometimes doesn't

Quick Reply: Clicking/Popping Rear Suspension