S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunk Noise Driver Rear

Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Updated the original post with this video:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_AUbSJ-6w[/media]

I'm really perplexed by this one, and would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Took another video from under the car with the gopro. Makes me think it's not the mounts just because the noise doesn't seem to always coincide with flex...and it looks pretty solid.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVnqWuVpKg&feature=youtu.be[/media]
Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe swaybar? Mine started after I lowered it
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Yeah could be. Another group of people had the great idea of putting my hands on different components while someone else works the jack.

I would love if it was either the endlinks or bushings....both cheap and easy to replace parts.

I'll report back after I've tried the hands on components thing.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I was thinking maybe a balljoint. But 2 points you mentioned minimize this theory.

You said noise sounds more like coming from diff, less like from suspension area.

A good shop just did an alignment, and they are supposed to check for stuff like that first.

But should be easy enough to get wheel in air, and see if any play when grabbing tire and wrenching it around in different directions.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Another night of investigating.

Can't feel anything noticeable on any components. Things I've tried to rule out possibilities:

-Removed driveshaft from differential and the noise still occurred.
-Loosened all diff mounts to try and create more movement....noise still happened with the same frequency.
-Removed sway bar completely and noise still happened.

I think it's time to remove the axles and check out the cv cups. I tried to get started last night, but couldn't loose the wheel nut. With my 3/4" drive and 36mm nut I could sit on it and it would start spinning the wheel on my garage floor before it broke free. The saga continues...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM

Ok it continues but I'm getting closer.

Removed right side axle completely. Lifted the hub and the noise still occurred.

Removed the sway bar completely and the noise still occurred.

Removed the right shock and I can't get the noise. Going to put it back in tomorrow and see if that's the common denominator.

Can a shock knock and pop without leaking or blowing?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blown shock? I'm sure thats what it is. I put low mileage (supposedly) stock sucpension on mine, and had a rear clunk, only to find that the supposedly low mileage shock was blown. I replaced it and the sound was completely gone. The car didn't handle noticeably different on the drive home when I discovered it.

Perfect opportunity to upgrade
Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 PM

At this point I think my car is playing a cruel joke on me. On the plus side I'm learning plenty about the rear suspension.

Today I disassembled the right rear shock. I could compress it under the weight of my body and it would return to normal slowly (I assume functioning correctly). I did find the rubber piece at the bottom of the spring was torn in one place and thought that might be the culprit. However, I put the shock back together with that rubber piece in a different place and the sound still occurs.

At this point it seems like the sound is happening more frequently. I obviously have been putting lots of stress on all the components lifting them and removing. What's the best way to test the bushings for noises? Could there still be something wrong with the shock near the mounts even though I didn't see anything visibly broken?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 418 Likes on 348 Posts

Have you tried jacking the suspension without the shock? How snug is the metal collar in the top hat with the shock shaft? If your isolator bushings have deteriorated it will cause play in the collar since it's pressed in between the two isolator bushings.

Quick Reply: Clunk Noise Driver Rear