S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clunking in rear after upgrading spring rates and changing ride height

Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Had the metal on metal noise from the front when i installed my Ohlins. Turns out the tophat bolt (one in the middle) was loose. Used an impact and tightened it, problem solved. Also the top of the strut has a spot for an allen wrench to keep the shock from spinning so you dont have to grab the strut itself, i would be scared to scratch it.
Yeap, turns out the middle nylon lock nut being very loose on the left rear -- so loose that the adjustment knob had no threads to stay on (fell off when I tried to adjust the rebound).

I've taken the shocks off the car again and I'll retorque in a more intelligent manner (using 5mm allen key to lock the shaft).
I've also reduced preload slightly from 12mm to 10mm, even still it is quite a lot.

Hopefully with everything torqued properly I'll be fine.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Never use pliers or anything else on the smooth shock shaft. Use a box wrench and an allen key.

If you want the accuracy of a torque wrench, use a crow foot socket, set so it points sideways (that will keep torque reading accurate), along with the allen key.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Y'all are some reckless heathens.

One guy is using PLIERS on the shock shaft (!??!?!?!!?!?). That's pure insanity, bruv. If the shock is not leaking, I'll be tickled with surprise. Did you at least use the portion at the very top of the shaft where the bumpstop rides?

and an other person is using an impact on the shock shaft. This is a really really terrible idea.

What's important, though...is that I was correct AF about the noise source.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:07 PM

BTW, a non preloaded spring doesn't clunk when the car is sitting on it. For that to be the source of the clunk, the situation would have to be very unusual and very specific.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Y'all are some reckless heathens.

One guy is using PLIERS on the shock shaft (!??!?!?!!?!?). That's pure insanity, bruv. If the shock is not leaking, I'll be tickled with surprise. Did you at least use the portion at the very top of the shaft where the bumpstop rides?

and an other person is using an impact on the shock shaft. This is a really really terrible idea.

What's important, though...is that I was correct AF about the noise source.
Haha, I didn't mar the shock shaft. And using pliers wasn't really effective anyway, precisely because I was unwilling to put too much pressure.

Anyway, everything is torqued way down now (with the use of 5mm allen key).
Won't be able to testdrive until tomorrow (hopefully). But I'm pretty sure everything is as it should be now.

(BTW, I originally put the shock in a vice and used the preload lock ring to torque down preload.. that is what caused the nylon nut to loosen originally. That was the stuff of an ultra-heathen.
But I learned the right way to set preload with this SBG howto video:
And some followup email exchanges with Heath at SBG -- Heath is great.)

Last edited by snitm; 04-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 AM

dAng. They're just shocks!

Putting them in a vise like they owe you money or something....
Old 04-07-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Advice. Next time, figure out the right way to do things before you go hack at it and potentially cause irreparable damage.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Advice. Next time, figure out the right way to do things before you go hack at it and potentially cause irreparable damage.
Yeap.. shouldn't require this level of discovery to learn the "right way" (thankfully SBG has a quality video). Instructions provided with Ohlins DFV are worst than useless.

Anyway, just drove the car after getting everything properly installed. I'm happy with the result using 12kg w/ 2mm preload front and 10kg w/ 10mm preload rear. Ride is stiff but not overly so (using 16 and 14 clicks from hard, front and back respectively). Glided over some nasty New England roads quite nicely.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I put 80 grit sandpaper between the locking plier and the shock shaft to hold it real tight because my 1200 ft-lbs impact gun kept spinning the shaft!

J/K don't do this folks.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by GSteg
I put 80 grit sandpaper between the locking plier and the shock shaft to hold it real tight because my 1200 ft-lbs impact gun kept spinning the shaft!

J/K don't do this folks.
Did you have a brotntosaurus stand on it to hold it still?

Quick Reply: clunking in rear after upgrading spring rates and changing ride height