S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Bleeding - Help, AIR!!!

Old 09-05-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I've tried unsuccessfully tonite to bleed my clutch and am pulling my hair out. I was doing the standard "have someone pump and lift the pedal" while I was bleeding, and accidentally sucked air. I have since followed it with a liter of fluid now, and no dice... I no longer get air out, but the pedal has no pressure until the bottom of the stroke, and the clutch is engaging/disengaging at the floor (feels like air in the lines).

I've also tried the method of having someone pump the clutch, then hold it, then bleed a short burst out at a time. That method produces no air, either.

Anyone have an idea WTF is going on?! I've never had this much trouble with a clutch bleed!!!

The Honda manual refers to a pressure attachment... anyone know if the dealer has a pressurized attachment? I would build one, but I need to get the thing bled for a track event this weekend, and I'm afraid I don't have the time.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried using one of those hand held vaccuum pumps to draw the fluid out?

Is the bleeder the same size that the brakes have? After hearing this, I want to install a solo bleeder on it when I bleed mine.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:42 AM

Handheld pumps don't work on Hondas, in my experience, as Honda doesn't use a pipe thread on the bleed screw (non-interference). As such, all you do is suck air through the threads. I haven't tried it in this case, but I have before on other Hondas, and the bleeder is the same style on the S2.

Not sure about the thread size, but the head is an 8mm where the brakes are 10mm (I assume the threads are different as well).

I'm in the process of making a pressurized bleed cap. I'll post back with results. What bothers me is that the air has to be trapped, since I am not getting ANY out, bleeding "traditionally."
Old 09-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Is this the first time you've blead the clutch on your S?
Old 09-06-2002, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dumb questions, but I have to make sure.... you do close the bleed bolt before the clutch pedal is lifted with each bleed pump and you do have residual fluid in the reservoir?
Old 09-06-2002, 08:17 AM

No, this is the second time I've bled the clutch on the car. I just didn't get air in it the first time.

Yes, I'm only opening and closing the bleeder on a downstroke. I'm about to go try the pressurized cap... we'll see if that gets anything else out.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure there is no fluid leaking around the master cylinder piston into the driver's compartment. I think if the pressure bleed doesn't work, sounds like the master cylinder or slave is defective and not allowing pressure to build sufficiently.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:56 AM

No leaks.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Looking at the Helm's manual, it looks like you could possibly do 3 things to help get the air out.

1) Tilt the car to position the bleeder and air bubble at the same place. It looks to me that raising the rear of the car above the front will force the air closer to the bleeder.

2) Unbolt the slave cylinder from the transmission housing, so that you can manipulate the bubble inside the slave cylinder (without disconnecting the fluid line).

3) Make sure that the slave cylinder piston is fully compressed into the slave cylinder, to minimize the amount of fluid / air that is inside it.

I don't have any idea of any of these things will help, but it seems like they might. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]1)

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleeding - Help, AIR!!!