S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Fluid - is ATE SB ok?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Fluid - is ATE SB ok?

Within the next few weeks I will be doing some general maintenance on my s2000, majority being changing all of the fluids since the car has been sitting for several years. I ordered some ATE Super Blue for the brakes, and I was wondering since ATE SB is a dot4 fluid, is it safe to use for the clutch as well? I am swapping from an ap2 slave cylinder to an ap1, and I figured while the slave cylinder is removed, I would flush out the old fluid and change it.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That's what I have been running for years now. Good stuff!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Moddiction
That's what I have been running for years now. Good stuff!
That's what I figured. I've heard some people mix it with other fluids, but I just wanted to make sure running it as is would be fine and not harm anything. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use whatever's leftover from flushing my brakes. Currently superblue.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good stuff but you will not need the extra temperature rating as you would if you use in for your brake.

dot4 also absorb water in the air faster than dot3 fluid, might or might not matter enough to open/buy a new dot3 tho'
Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Francesco
Within the next few weeks I will be doing some general maintenance on my s2000, majority being changing all of the fluids since the car has been sitting for several years. I ordered some ATE Super Blue for the brakes, and I was wondering since ATE SB is a dot4 fluid, is it safe to use for the clutch as well? I am swapping from an ap2 slave cylinder to an ap1, and I figured while the slave cylinder is removed, I would flush out the old fluid and change it.
It's more than ok. It's the best you can get.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

NFRs2000NYC Posted Today, 11:32 AM
Well....

ATE also makes SL.6, a thin DOT 4 brake fluid.
It made my ABS act/react quicker, the pulsating feeling in the pedal is quicker now.
(we had more snow than usual this winter so lots of opportunity to use ABS)
Newer S2k's with VSA will benefit too, maybe more because that system will react quicker.

Thinner fluid helps too in the clutch hydraulics, made the pedal easier to push and it does not lag at all letting it come back up (a smooth push rod and grease is essential as well)
I have to add that I have an ACT clutch, so every little bit to make it easier to use is good.
OEM pedal force but ACT clamping force.

ATE Super Racing Blue is good stuff, but to be honest I would not use it again, because:
1 - there are better fluids available for "racing" with higher dry & wet boiling points, like Motul RBF 660.
2 - there are thinner fluids available for daily use (as mentioned above)

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Well....

It made my ABS act/react quicker, the pulsating feeling in the pedal is quicker now.
Newer S2k's with VSA will benefit too, maybe more because that system will react quicker.

Thinner fluid helps too in the clutch hydraulics, made the pedal easier to push and it does not lag at all letting it come back up (a smooth push rod and grease is essential as well)
I have to add that I have an ACT clutch, so every little bit to make it easier to use is good.

ATE Super Racing Blue is good stuff, but to be honest I would not use it again, because:
1 - there are better fluids available for "racing" with higher dry & wet boiling points, like Motul RBF 660.

Interesting, thank you. For now I will try out the ATE SB. Maybe down the road depending on how I like it, I may question it, and look for an alternative.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the difference. Used ate sb. Old was black. Super easy. Now clutch is like butter. No bubbles
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Well....

I've heard that most master cylinders leak a little. Would using a thinner fluid in the clutch affect this?

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid - is ATE SB ok?