S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch fluid - ATE Super Blue?

Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch fluid - ATE Super Blue?

Yes I searched and didn't find a lot about clutch fluids.

I'm planning to brake out my brake and clutch fluids this Saturday. I'm looking at either the ATE Super Blue or Motul RBF 600. My S2000 is a weekend toy, occassionally auto'ed but never tracked, so I'm looking for something better than OEM but nothing extreme.

I've read here that the Motul RBF 600 can be used for both brake and clutch fluid. What about the ATE Super Blue? Can that be used for the clutch fluid as well?

Oh and how many bottles do I need to pick up?

Dumb question, I know. I'm no expert so I want to be 100% sure I'm getting the right stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id just put in a normal brake fluid in the clutch. There isnt any real reason you need a more race fluid. The clutch doesnt run into any heat related problems like the brakes do. Plus the motul or ATE absorb water much eaiser than a more standard fluid, meaning you will have to change it much more often. Not worth it IMO
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
mav

Thanks JDMwhore. So the OEM Honda DOT 3 brake fluid should suffice for my clutch?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:33 AM

I also just use regular Honda DOT3 brake fluid in the clutch.

1) comes in small bottles (very little is needed)
2) cheap
3) unlike track brake fluid, is intended to stay in the car for several years
4) clutch does not have the high temp problems the brakes have

I have never bled the clutch fluid. I have flushed it once (after two years). I plan to flush it again this winter (still on a two-year cycle).
Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard brake fluid will be BETTER than hi-performance brake fluid in your clutch since it is less hydrophillic.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the ATE. Why would you go and buy an inferior fluid, when you are going to have some ATE left over after the brake bleed?

....plus the ATE color makes it so easy to tell when you've got fresh fluid in the lines.

Here's a quote taken from the following thread.....

"ATE Super Blue Racing and ATE TYP 200 are the same brake fluid in two different colors (blue and amber, respectively). BMW recommends this brake fluid for their street cars because it, like Castrol LMA, absorbs moisture very slowly. The advantage over LMA is that ATE has a much better wet boiling point. You can put this stuff in your car and forget about it for a long time. An excellent choice for a weekend track car which also sees regular street duty. Comes in metal cans. This is what I use in all my street cars. "

Fluids Comparison
Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 PM

I've been running Super Blue in by brakes and clutch for well over a year. It still looks new. I would recommend it.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by fperra,May 19 2005, 04:32 PM
I've been running Super Blue in by brakes and clutch for well over a year. It still looks new. I would recommend it.
Looks can be deceiving when your fluid is dark colored to begin with.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:06 AM

The ATE type 200 (gold) is the same as ATE Super Blue except for the dye. They are rated DOT 4.

The ATE can toots it's ability to "encapsulate" water instead of mixing with it. ATE says that "3 year" life is possible because of this chemistry- one of their selling points is less frequent brake fluid changes.

That being said, Honda says "you MUST use ONLY Honda DOT 3" in your brakes, and you are to "use DOT 3 fluid for the clutch". Quotes right from the Helms manual.

If your car is under warranty, the Super Blue is a instant giveaway that you are not using Honda approved fluids. Incredible as it may seem, there has been instances of a manufacturer (German) refusing warranty coverage because "blue racing brake fluid shows that you are racing". Total BS, but if it happens, you are in for a toe-to-toe fight with a 300 pound gorilla.

I'm not saying you are doing wrong if you use Super Blue- just something to think about.

There has been some discussion here about DOT 4's, because of their different chemistry being too "aggressive' on the brake/clutch system seals, but no hard evidence (i.e. dissolved o-rings and the like) has been offered. Has anyone seen this?

As long as what you want to put in is compatible for its intended use, brake fluid, engine oil etc., I'm sure it will work, and be better than the old stuff coming out, after all, you're not taking it into space. Ninety-eight percent of the 'my 'X' is better that your 'X'' is Madison Avenue puffing out BS to sell product, with the real benefit of one product over the other only micro-incremental.

Just be aware of waving a flag in front of some warranty denying dealer who is looking for an excuse to say "NO warranty for you.....next!".

Regards,
BD
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 AM

Well, since I've replaced just about everything under the hood with non stock items, warrenty is the last thing on my mind. Good information though.

Quick Reply: clutch fluid - ATE Super Blue?