S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Install Problem

Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install Problem

My old ACT competition clutch went out so I was replacing it with a new ACT street clutch. I took everything apart following the helms. Installed the new clutch with the same pressure plate and the original flywheel (since the comptech one was toast).

I was about half way putting everything back together when I got to the step to put the prop shaft back on. After torquing half the prop shaft bolts I needed to rotate the shaft to do the other side. The shifter was not installed so I was just going to press down the clutch pedal and rotate the shaft (the slave cylinder was installed). But the clutch felt funny. It was too loose at first but 3/4 the way down it got really tight. I was afraid to push it down any farther.

I bled the system and then tried again. Still felt funny. I checked the fork and it was moving about 3-4mm (not sure what the normal range is). So I put in the shifter and just popped it out of gear. Rotated the shaft and put it back in gear. At this point the shaft still rotates. In gear it was slightly harder to rotate but still rotated. I could tell the clutch was slipping against the flywheel in gear, but not out of gear.

Somehow when I first installed the tranny I had a solid connection between the flywheel and clutch, and the prop shaft would not move. Then I pushed the clutch in and lost the connection and the pedal felt stiff.

(edited out the part about the gears, turns out everything was fine there)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 PM

I would DEF. check to see the clutch is the same EXACT size as the old clutch. I cant count how many times a distrubtor has sent the WRONG clutch kit. Even though it does fit, it doesn't mean that it's the correct clutch for the car. Take it out and make sure.

Let me know if you have any other problems. I'll see if I can walk you through any more of it.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm going to start taking it all apart again. However I checked the clutch packaging and the part number matches that of the s2000 clutch. So unless its the wrong clutch in the proper container then I'm pretty sure the clutch is correct.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM

I just got done hammering the clutch fork the opposite direction and the fork snaped into place. Not sure why, but after that I got my clamping power back and the clutch pedal felt 'normalish'. The only remaining problem is the clutch pedal feels sticky at the bottom, right as the pressure plate is disingauged and wont come back up smoothly right away. I did lube everything that the helms said too. I have yet to search this new problem, just thought I would update on my original post.

So at this point everything is technically working except the clutch pedal feels wrong. And the catch point seems mighty low. And I had to use a hammer to get it working (not a good sign, but whatever works).