S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue

Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue

First off let me say that I know having a higher clamp load pressure plate can cause a slave cylinder or possibly a master cylinder to go out faster. The clutch system has been working flawlessly for the past 8 months (when I put in the Exedy hyper single, flushed, bled the clutch fluid). A few days ago I realized my car started having some issues. I noticed that the clutch would start engaging at different points during a single drive. This made it very hard to commute with the hyper single (on/off clutch) due to having to guess when it would grab. When I would just start driving, the clutch would engage like normal (grabs when the pedal is depressed about an inch or two). If I kept using the clutch in stop/go situations, there normally will not be a problem. If I'm cruising and don't depress the clutch for over a minute then the pedal would be very mushy (stock like) and not disengage/engage until just barely off of the floor. If I would pump the pedal while driving, there would not be a problem, but if I leave it alone the engagement point will change. I have also noticed the vibration in the clutch is noticeably higher than usual.

I figured somehow air got into the system or I was running low on fluid. I checked the resevoir and the fluid was between the min/max lines. So I decided to flush and bleed the system. Upon inspection of the slave cylinder it was dry and was not leaking. I flushed it and added more super blue racing brake fluid, followed by a bleeding of the system. The car still has the same issue. I then took out the slave cylinder rod, sanded the end which makes contact with the release fork until it was baby smooth, and added some grease to it. This took care of the notchyness in the pedal, but not the main problem. Now it seems to engage/disengage near the bottom of the pedal no matter what since I cleaned up the slave cylinder rod.

I'm just curious if I should order a whole new slave cylinder and/or master cylinder because as of now I'm not sure what the problem is. The Exedy hyper single should not be the problem as it has been flawless since the day I installed it. Its engagement point has been the same since day one, and the pedal pressure required has been constant for the past 8 months.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, your insight is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fact that you have to pump the pedal points toward the master.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for more opinions!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My slave went on Saturday about 20 miles from the shop, right after I picked it up. I've got about 90k/8 years on the clock and just had the ACT HD kit installed w/OEM disc (hardtopguy kit). For me basically it just went all at once. The engagement point dropped to the floor and then disappeared altogether - it was engaged, period. There was no visible leak.

I'm having both master and slave replaced as insurance.