S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch master or release bearing?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch master or release bearing?

So I have a bunch of what I am assuming to be "issues" with my transmission.

car has 118,000km's on it for reference.

1. My clutch is very inconsistent, when I leave the car parked for a day or two, and then get in, the clutch is very smooth and easy to use. after about 5 minutes of driving it returns to being really difficult to push in (still smooth, but just really hard to push in, followed by a crunch and a stick at the bottom of the pedal throw.
2. When it works smoothly, shifting is much smoother into all gears, especially 2nd.
3. revving it higher makes it easier to push the clutch in. (6k +)
4. if I'm driving in the city for a while in stop and go traffic, red lights etc, at the bottom of the clutch throw, it squeaks and sounds like it's coming from my footwell, but I saw a video where someone had the same sound, but it was the release bearing instead of the clutch master.
5. not sure if this is related to anything, but my transmission makes a noise like crickets in 3rd and 4th when I'm giving it maybe 40% -50% throttle at 3-4k rpm's. not shifting issues, but I think it's a new noise.

I thought for sure it was the slave cylinder, but I bought a new one from honda, installed it, and nothing changed.
So before I go out and buy a new master cylinder, I'm wondering if it's the release bearing.
do I need to pull the tranny and grease the release bearing or is it just my clutch master?

I was told by the dealership that my car has an "aftermarket" clutch, which I can't imagine being true, because the previous owner was a dumbass and didn't do a single bit of maintenance on it, so It's probably stock. However, the work that was done on the car (softtop replaced, I guess oil changes or something) was all done poorly. (used the wrong front lifting points on the front, broke all interior clips behind seats, cracked roll hoops and a few other things) so if they did changed the clutch I would bet someone they didn't grease the release bearing or used toothpaste.

I bought the car before winter and I've driven it for a few months like this now, and it doesn't feel better or worse at any time. just consistently inconsistent.

TLDR, I'm having issues, I think it's the clutch master, but before I spend 100$ on one I'm just looking for other opinions.