S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Master & Slave replaced, now slight ka-chunk into 1st gear

Old 02-13-2023, 05:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clutch Master & Slave replaced, now slight ka-chunk into 1st gear

Hi All,

I've had my 2008 S2000 about 6 weeks now. I took it in a couple of weeks ago for a valve adjustment, spark plugs, and a general inspection, and the shop found the clutch fluid was extremely dirty, so they recommended replacing the master and slave before they failed. I had the work done, and now when I shift from neutral into 1st, there is a slight ka-chunk as it goes into gear. If I put it in gear super-slowly, I don't get the ka-chunk, but it's not realistic to drive this way. I don't remember experiencing this before the work. Would these things be related? Is there something the shop might not have adjusted properly? I've done the axle nuts, and that other ka-chunk sound went away, so this isn't due to that issue.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by dtsol; 02-13-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:22 PM

Received 350 Likes on 326 Posts

They prob left some air in system so you go back and they tell you its needs new clutch kit,
all it needed was new fluid and bleeding !!
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 05:14 AM

Received 1,434 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
They prob left some air in system so you go back and they tell you its needs new clutch kit,
all it needed was new fluid and bleeding !!
Yeah, have them or you re-bleed the hydraulics.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:38 AM

Received 1,258 Likes on 950 Posts

No...

The thunk is normal. Every single S2000 does it. Actually every single manual car does it.

Lets say you're stopped and idling.

With the clutch pedal up, the engine is spinning the input shaft at idk...1,000RPM.

When you push in the clutch, that mf is still coasting from being spun at 1,000RPM.

When you put the trans into gear, it suddenly STOPS to 0 RPM to match the output shaft.

So you hear a thud.

Its still good to make sure all the air is bled and that the pedal is adjusted for minimum freeplay (you should only be able to feel about 6mm of freeplay at the top of the pedal travel).

But you're always gonna hear that noise. Unless you push the pedal...wait like 5 seconds ....then put the selector into gear.

Try the above.

OR...try putting it into gear (THUD).
Take it out of gear *but leave the clutch pressed*
Put it back into gear. (No thud).

Last edited by B serious; 02-14-2023 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, @B_serious, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Much appreciated!
Old 02-14-2023, 08:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

+1

My S2000 makes the clunk going into first at a stop, and it's more noticeable than most manual cars I've owned. Actually, everything is more noticeable in the S2000. Especially drivetrain stuff. Gear knashing, whining, vibration... I don't think Honda spent any time on NVH with this car. I'm not (really) complaining, that's just how the car is.
windhund116 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
+1

My S2000 makes the clunk going into first at a stop, and it's more noticeable than most manual cars I've owned. Actually, everything is more noticeable in the S2000. Especially drivetrain stuff. Gear knashing, whining, vibration... I don't think Honda spent any time on NVH with this car. I'm not (really) complaining, that's just how the car is.
I am sure they spent time dialing in the right amount of NVH. All of the sensations in this car are deliberately delivered, it seems.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:50 AM

Received 1,434 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
+1

Mine doesn't --- But, then I have the Sirius crank full blast.
If put the car into second, with clutch fully pressed, going into first is no problem or clunks.

My impression from the first post was the owner did NOT have this "clunk" issue before he had the clutch master and slave replaced. Sounds like a bleed problem to me.

Last edited by windhund116; 02-14-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:59 AM

Received 278 Likes on 201 Posts

It is clunky, but bleeding the clutch neverthelss just to be safe is maybe a good idea? The clutch system is notorious for being difficult to bleed.
windhund116 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Mine doesn't --- But, then I have the Sirius crank full blast.
If put the car into second, with clutch fully pressed, going into first is no problem or clunks.

My impression from the first post was the owner did NOT have this "clunk" issue before he had the clutch master and slave replaced. Sounds like a bleed problem to me.
Try with the radio off.
He wasn't sure if he heard it before or not. When you get work done, you can become hypersensitive.

The car definitely clunks going into gear. Every manual car does. The S2000 is just very audible and you can even feel it.

I don't know the severity of his, though. Hence my recommendation to check the basics.

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
The clutch system is notorious for being difficult to bleed.
Really? How? Idk if I've ever heard this. To me, it's always seemed ridiculously easy to bleed....

Quick Reply: Clutch Master & Slave replaced, now slight ka-chunk into 1st gear