S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Pedal hit floor

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch Pedal hit floor

Hi,

I have an 04 S2K with 26K on it. (daily driver, 3 miles to work). The car was not used recently for 2 weeks and when I got back in last week the clutch pedal was lower/softer than normal. Today upon starting it to go to work the pedal hit the floor and I could not shift into 1st to get out of the garage (good excuse to ride the bike).

Clutch fluid resevoir was almost empty, and upon adding some DOT 4 the pedal was a bit better but still low and I did not trust it. Car is not absued and clucth itself is not slipping under normal operation.

Does this sound like a clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, or clutch wear itself? I have not yet had a chance to look for a leak, but will tonight after work.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch fluid resevoir was almost empty, and upon adding some DOT 4 the pedal was a bit better but still low and I did not trust it. Car is not absued and clucth itself is not slipping under normal operation.
Did you do a proper bleed of the CMC fluid? If not, you should... I'm no expert by the standards of these forums, but I believe that simply adding fluid to an almost empty reservoir does not address the air that has likely already made it's way into your CMC. That would be step #1 I believe.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bleed the system, this will fix it 100% !! nothing to worry about bud
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by akirhol,Jun 22 2010, 09:00 AM
Did you do a proper bleed of the CMC fluid? If not, you should... I'm no expert by the standards of these forums, but I believe that simply adding fluid to an almost empty reservoir does not address the air that has likely already made it's way into your CMC. That would be step #1 I believe.
and this is correct, adding fluid does not remove air that already made its way into the system.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by akirhol,Jun 22 2010, 12:00 PM
simply adding fluid to an almost empty reservoir does not address the air that has likely already made it's way into your CMC.
It also doesn't address the underlying problem. Where did your fluid go that caused air to be sucked in through the reservoir? Your 2004 is right about the typical age when the clutch MC seals start to go. Look for fluid where the plunger goes into the MC by the clutch pedal. You may be able to drive the car after you fill/bleed the system, but it's just a matter of time until it leaks out again. Or the seals fail completely (hopefully not while you're driving). Confirm the leak, then order the part ASAP.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks All. I will check the cylinder for a leak tonight - I assume it will be leaking into the cabin by the pedal and not onto the ground (have not seen anyhing on gargae floor).

I did not bleed the system this morning, but will once I replace the faulty part (with a mighty-vac). just glad it will not be too involved of a job.

Thanks!!

Rob
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, the leak usually drips down onto the carpet in the driver's footwell. (Ask how I know... )
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,Jun 22 2010, 09:07 AM
It also doesn't address the underlying problem. Where did your fluid go that caused air to be sucked in through the reservoir? Your 2004 is right about the typical age when the clutch MC seals start to go. Look for fluid where the plunger goes into the MC by the clutch pedal. You may be able to drive the car after you fill/bleed the system, but it's just a matter of time until it leaks out again. Or the seals fail completely (hopefully not while you're driving). Confirm the leak, then order the part ASAP.
my clutch master leaks a tiny bit and i have no problems with air getting into the system, 90% of s2000 clutch master cylinders will have a tiny bit of leak/fluid build up. Its really quite common.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Took out the clutch master cylinder last night and there was a lot of fluid/junk on the piston end of it, as well as a little leak onto the carpeting. I checked the slave cylinder and all tubing/fixtures and not a single drop of anything so I presume the CMC is the casue.

Will have a new OEM replacement tonight from Honda and should be back in business rather quickly after the bleeding.

Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by RTZX9R,Jun 23 2010, 08:55 AM
Took out the clutch master cylinder last night and there was a lot of fluid/junk on the piston end of it, as well as a little leak onto the carpeting. I checked the slave cylinder and all tubing/fixtures and not a single drop of anything so I presume the CMC is the casue.

Will have a new OEM replacement tonight from Honda and should be back in business rather quickly after the bleeding.

Thanks!!
if your doing all that you should take apart the slave cylinder and clean it as well. When i cleaned mine it was FILTHY, like literally had some grime built up in the back of it. Just slide the rubber boot off after unbolting it from the tranny remove the metal rod that pushes the clutch fork, pull out the cylindrical plunger thingy, its coated in rubber and just clean out the system Q tips or w/e and some solvent.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal hit floor