S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal sticking...kind of

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal sticking...kind of

Hi all,

been having a bit of a problem lately. when i press the clutch pedal in all the way to the floor, it sort of...sticks. it comes back up on its own fine, but its kinda annoying to drive that way. any ideas what it could be? the clutch engages fine and disengages fine, its just sticky a little bit when it hits the floor. when the car is cold it doesnt do it, at least not noticeably. ive read alot of topics from the search, but none seemed to have an answer, and there were few that described my problem exactly. anyone know what the problem could be? im changing the fluid tomorrow, its kinda dirty so well see if that helps...other than that any signs i should be looking for? i checked behind the pedal and there arent any fluids or anything leaking out. could it be air in the clutch line?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might need to grease the release fork socket thing where the slave cylinder mates up with the transmission.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 PM

if it also makes a somewhat suble creaking/squeeking noise when you slowly depress your clutch pedal the pivot pin/fork needs grease. costs about 15 dollars at honda, super hi temp urea grease and about half an hour or so of your time.

there is a DYI on it on s2k that i just used this past weekend. clutch pedal moves very smoothly and quietly now.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM

it could be the old fluid/air in the lines. do the flush/bleed and go from there.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM

sorry to hijack for a little bit but how do you flush and bleed your clutch fuild? Any DIY , thank you
Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 PM

google : s2000 clutch bleed

first link.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Same symptoms as me, only comes about when the car's warmed up. When I cleaned the release fork, while I was trying to grease the throwout bearing cap from the service hole (damn near impossible), I noticed the problem go away for a bit. This leads me to believe that all the points on my release fork weren't greased properly.

Another member mentioned that greasing those areas cured the problem. I'm going to do so tomorrow, I'll post the results.

It's very easy to do. Two 12mm bolts where the slave cylinder is, and just remove the rubber cover and yank the release fork out with a little force, and it pops out enough to grease up the joints.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM

thanks for the input. I'm going to have some free time on Sunday and I'll probably get this done. There is a subtle creak/squeek when I push the pedal in so I'm going to do the grease job. Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Sounds like the slave cylender is sticking. I would definately change the fluid. Flush/bleed the lines it should make a ton of difference.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM

I changed the fluid and did the modification to the slave cylinder and it made a world of difference..for two days. Now it's sticking again. I dunno what it is doing that for. Now I did notice that the boot around the clutch fork, the square one, was cracked. How fast will air dry the grease out? Could that be the issue? I don't think it is the throw out bearing because when I greased it and changed the fluid it changed so dramatically. And ideas now? I'm about to change the master and slave cylinder.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal sticking...kind of