S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Problem

Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem

I installed a new clutch about a year ago, and every since, it has been engaging funny. I've only put about 5000 miles on it since then, but what it is doing is it feels like it is having a rough engagement like it is slipping roughly(oem clutch and Spec pressure plate and toda flywheel). also, it will slip if i go full throttle in 1st gear. i was thinking that i don't have enough pressure and i might need to change my fluid again, but when i changed the fluid and the clutch, i didn't get any air in the line (or so i thought), so i don't know if that could be the problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad clutch fluid generally will give you a clutch that is hard to fully DISENGAGE. You seem to have the opposite situation. You should focus on the parts you put in and how they were put in.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:59 AM

I have a similar problem... the dealership replaced my clutch for the 00-01 clutch-buzz TSB, and ever since, my clutch will randomly feel "crunchy"... and sometimes it will be soft, then all of a sudden be really hard, and sometimes its hard halfway then soft the other half...

I cant replicate the problem whenever I take it back to the dealership, so they wont fix it!!

I have kinda learned to live with it
Old 05-05-2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SolReborn,May 5 2005, 07:59 AM
I have kinda learned to live with it
Have you changed and bleed your clutch fluid?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 AM

yup... i asked them to do that the first time i brought my car back in to have it looked at... didn't realyl help

i think i cant "live with it" for much longer, tho.. b/c the problem seems to be getting worse
Old 05-05-2005, 08:41 AM

anyone else who has had this problem please chime in!

- changing pressure in clutch pedal
- sometimes clutch pedal is "crunchy"
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SolReborn,May 5 2005, 09:41 AM
anyone else who has had this problem please chime in!

- changing pressure in clutch pedal
- sometimes clutch pedal is "crunchy"
These could be signs that didn't change to a new T.O. bearing or that they didn't lube the splines the T.O. bearing rides on - a fairly common mistake. Also, they may not have machined the flywheel or they didn't put in a new one. Do you recall a new T.O. bearing or reference to the flywheel in the work order?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:00 PM

I put mine in myself, and i followed the helms manual to a T, torque on the bolts and all. i'll try to bleed it again...maybe that will help...do you think it could have something to do with the adjustment on the clutch pedal? i don't think it would, but you never know if you aren't an expert.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM

xviper: They replaced clutch, flywheel and bearings... that is why they dont believe me when I say something is wrong... they say since they replaced all the parts with new ones, there should be nothing wrong.

I told them that it feels like something isn't lubricated, and they said that they all come prelubricated... DAMNIT such a headache
Old 05-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by spesrf25,May 5 2005, 03:00 PM
I put mine in myself, and i followed the helms manual to a T, torque on the bolts and all. i'll try to bleed it again...maybe that will help...do you think it could have something to do with the adjustment on the clutch pedal? i don't think it would, but you never know if you aren't an expert.
Clutch pedal adjustment should ONLY be done as a LAST resort. They hardly ever go out. Did you machine the flywheel or put a new one in? If the flywheel was glazed and you left it, this could be related to what's going on. Greased the spline for the T.O. bearing?

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem