S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch problem need insight...

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem need insight...

so i've got the car for a month now. and there is a problem.. my clutch is becoming sticky and rough when pressing and releasing some times it squeaks. initially i thought it was the fluids, so i changed it and its no help, now that every time i shift it makes me crazy can anyone help to try to sort it out?

here is the part that was bad and i replaced.
-Slave cylinder (was leaking fluid)

new things in it.
-MC/SC
-dot 3 brake fluid (put it in drove a week bleed, drove another week/bleed) so its been 2 bleeds and still sticky..

so my conclusion is.. its not the fluids not the cylinders not the bubbles in the fluid.

help?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,494 Posts

if you are able to check the slave rod , there is a ball on the end of it that goes into the clutch fork, it can require polishing and grease, there are numberous threads on that, I am sure there is a DIY on here somewhere. There is also a pin that holds the clutch rod to the clutch pedal that can use lube but it would be rare for it to be really rough like that, but easy to service either way, the pin is held on with a cotter pin where clutch rod attaches to the clutch pedal underdash. The slave cylinder rod is attached to the slave cylinder that is bolted onto the driver side tranny.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
if you are able to check the slave rod , there is a ball on the end of it that goes into the clutch fork, it can require polishing and grease, there are numberous threads on that, I am sure there is a DIY on here somewhere. There is also a pin that holds the clutch rod to the clutch pedal that can use lube but it would be rare for it to be really rough like that, but easy to service either way, the pin is held on with a cotter pin where clutch rod attaches to the clutch pedal underdash. The slave cylinder rod is attached to the slave cylinder that is bolted onto the driver side tranny.
sorry about posting similar topic again

but thanks for the tip, i thought it has something to do with PP or spring release bearing or possibly the whole clutch needs to be changed -.-
Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 AM

It sounds very obviously like this:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/841...turn-smoothly/
Which is a common problem you should have been able to find from a search, and JFUSION already mentioned.

But since you replaced the slave cylinder, I would have expected this rod to have been part of it, in which case wouldn't expect to need regreasing. But it's worth a look because it's not difficult. Some people say if it didn't completely solve it, then they have to grease the fork that the rod goes to as well. That's all mentioned in the linked threads too. But I expect if the push rod is new/greased, then it's probably a different issue altogether.

edit: I like the quote in your sig btw.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
It sounds very obviously like this:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/841...turn-smoothly/
Which is a common problem you should have been able to find from a search, and JFUSION already mentioned.

But since you replaced the slave cylinder, I would have expected this rod to have been part of it, in which case wouldn't expect to need regreasing. But it's worth a look because it's not difficult. Some people say if it didn't completely solve it, then they have to grease the fork that the rod goes to as well. That's all mentioned in the linked threads too. But I expect if the push rod is new/greased, then it's probably a different issue altogether.

edit: I like the quote in your sig btw.

ya i called my s2k mechanic an hr ago and i was asked to stop by and he could help me take if off and have a look at since i don't have a jack.. btw, i stole the quote from vanishing point, because i like it a lot too LOL.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,494 Posts

it could be a lack of grease or rust on the splines in the clutch housing, but since you said it creaked when you engaged the clutch pedal that is often the slave rod up against the clutch fork. That is easier to service, if it turns out being a part inside the clutch housing that is much harder to service and requires a full tranny removal. Start with the slave first.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
it could be a lack of grease or rust on the splines in the clutch housing, but since you said it creaked when you engaged the clutch pedal that is often the slave rod up against the clutch fork. That is easier to service, if it turns out being a part inside the clutch housing that is much harder to service and requires a full tranny removal. Start with the slave first.
crossing my fingers till monday when i have the mechanic pull out the slave. thanks for the input!