S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch project

Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 1,320 Likes on 800 Posts

As someone who has seen it too many times, do as the guys say and avoid the Exedy kit at all costs. The only part that MIGHT NOT be junk is the pilot bearing, but if it's anything like the disc or throwout bearing, I would get this from Honda also.

Expect 100k miles or more out of oem Honda parts.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We tried, Bill. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I think we need a sticky for this failboat exedy "OEM" clutch

Why do people keep buying them? There's a new thread about it every week. Ugh
Old 03-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 432 Likes on 358 Posts

Because people are cheap, I'm guilty too, I almost bought one. Until I had a dose of reason enter my mind.

Pay $200 more for parts which will easily last 5x as long, or save $200 and have to do the PITA job again. It's pretty obvious what is going to save you money, effort, and time in the long run. Pay me now, or pay me later, only later I'm collecting interest at a rate that would make a bank giddy.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...sion-problems/

I did put Exedy on my car.
Drove it 2k miles, and switched to Honda OEM.
You can read the problems I had with video proofs.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I've had a pretty crazy experience with my install so far. Everything that people said was going to be hard was easy for me (starter bolt, top tranny bolts) and I'm having the most trouble with things that should be easy. Right now in hung up on the bottom right hand side tranny bolt. I got it to back out about 1/4 of an inch before it rounded completely. My solution is to drill it out from the engine side and replace it with a bolt and a nut on the other side. Other than that this honestly hasn't been hard compared to the e46, it's just I find that it's much easier to strip bolts on the honda (drive shaft) but anyways I'm getting the clutch disc and throw out bearing from honda tomorrow... can't afford to pay $300+ for the pressure plate right now. I'll probably just wait and see if the one I have goes bad or not I don't really mind tinkering with my car so if I have to do this again then that's how it is. If I find it sucks then I'll upgrade to the act heavy duty one later on down the line but for now I'll be alright. Thanks again you guys
Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 AM

Sounds like you can't afford to fix the car currently.

Follow the recommendation of the experienced forum members and save up for the correct parts.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 432 Likes on 358 Posts

The pressure plate itself might not be bad, it's the disk and t/o bearing that are questionable. At least from what I've seen.

For stubborn bolts I use these http://www.griptitetools.com/

For the drive shaft bolts I've found along with others that if you use locking pliers and an allen socket, one with each hand you can get the bolts off pretty easily. Idk why Honda decided to use bolts made from swiss cheese, with an allen head, and I also don't understand why they needed to use Loctite on them.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 PM

I've been thinking about this and I figured its best to get the install right the first time. My parents are lending me the money to buy the ACT pressure plate so I should be set now. I'm pretty upset I didn't buy the right thing in the first place I saved up for 2 months for all this, but oh well... I'm 16 and (naturally) have a pretty crumby job so you're right when you say I can't afford it but all is well now I guess. Its just going to be out of commission till I can return this piece of crap and order in the good stuff. I'm sure you all know not being able to drive sucks. Anyways this thread will probably go quiet for a week or two while I get everything sorted out. BTW someone please put something extremely blaring and noticeable on this website saying not to buy Exedy because I really was fooled into thinking it was the oem clutch prior to this and I'm glad I posted and caught this before hand.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow your 16, have an s2k and are doing your own clutch job. Good for you man. When I was 16 I didn't even have my license yet and was only dreaming of owning an S. drive safe

Quick Reply: Clutch project