S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch slip? Or Clutch Delay Valve ?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch slip? Or Clutch Delay Valve ?

Hi people, earlier on a posted a clutch delay valve thread in which i released the delay on upshift was likely due to the CDV and resolved to have it removed. i'm currently driving an AP2 (07 i think). I dont have VGS or VSA.

When i went by my mechanic to ask how long such a thing would take, the chief mech told me that he wasn't sure there was such a thing? maybe it was me feeling the drive by wire lag.

so he told me to drive and show him. when i did, he told me that i was a "hardcore" driver and said what i felt was clutch slip and not a CDV. I told him that i was shocked since i don't feel myself being the most harsh driver and that even so, i was getting this feeling from even 3-5kms of driving the new car.

he told me that he was certain i had gotten my information from some "forum" and the impression he gave me was of great skepticism about information from some folks online. he then told me to find any information, if it was, about a CDV and removal so that he could do that "removal" i wanted.

please help me with this? i would appreciate anyone who has experience with CDV and its removal to share. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, how do you not know what year your car is? As far as I know all ap2s from 2006 and up have the vsa. So if you dont have csa then you aren't driving an 07. The CFV's purpose is to save your diff. If I understand this it does this by slipping the clutch. Someone else may be able to go into better detail or correct em if I am wrong. If you go into greater detail as to what you are feeling as well as where on the rpms you are feeling it you might be able to get more help.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275175
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take out the cdv and also put in an ap1 flywheel when you change your clutch. you will thank yourself later!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

its funny how mechanics alway think they are the big know it alls about cars.

I'll tell you this. I never take my car to the track or to the drag strip. I dont consider myself a 'hardcore' driver. But i can certainly feel the CDV doing its dirty work during my brisk daily commute.

Basically you have two options. Remove the OEM slave cyl and use a sharp pick tool and try for hours to remove the snap ring to get the little cyl out of the CDV. (and possibly impale yourself with said picktool)

Or just buy an ap1 (00-03) clutch slave cyl and install it. $50 USD.

Either way if you pay a mechanic to do it you should just end your life because it is seriously the easiest mod to do on our cars. It ranks right there with a shiftnob install. (ok so you'll have to bleed the clutch no big deal)

Either way you'll completely change the character of the clutch system. No more slight delay during shifting and no more inadvertent clutch slip @ high rpm.

However even after all that the damage may already be done. The OEM flywheels is too heavy and the OEM pressure plate is too weak, which will also cause clutch slip.

So my recommendation is to buy the HTG clutch package with an AP1 flywheel. You will never want to drive an s2000 without it EVER. It is single handedly the best mod to my S2000 Ever.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Removing the delay valve was an easy job if you use two picks.

One to keep the snap ring from moving and the other to pop it out.

It took far longer to bleed the clutch than take out the valve.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dead-bird,May 4 2008, 06:29 PM
Removing the delay valve was an easy job if you use two picks.

One to keep the snap ring from moving and the other to pop it out.

It took far longer to bleed the clutch than take out the valve.
i will second on the two pick approach. i did it with one and chased the stupid ring around quite a bit til i got it out. two would have been so much easier. as for bleeding, it takes longer then the ring, but still really easy when you gravity bleed it.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by dead-bird,May 4 2008, 03:18 AM
thanks! how the hell did the mechanic not know that??

now i'm having my doubts on him................
Old 05-04-2008, 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=GrandMasterKhan,May 4 2008, 01:34 PM] its funny how mechanics alway think they are the big know it alls about cars.

I'll tell you this. I never take my car to the track or to the drag strip. I dont consider myself a 'hardcore' driver. But i can certainly feel the CDV doing its dirty work during my brisk daily commute.

Basically you have two options. Remove the OEM slave cyl and use a sharp pick tool and try for hours to remove the snap ring to get the little cyl out of the CDV. (and possibly impale yourself with said picktool)

Or just buy an ap1 (00-03) clutch slave cyl and install it. $50 USD.

Either way if you pay a mechanic to do it you should just end your life because it is seriously the easiest mod to do on our cars. It ranks right there with a shiftnob install. (ok so you'll have to bleed the clutch no big deal)

Either way you'll completely change the character of the clutch system. No more slight delay during shifting and no more inadvertent clutch slip @ high
Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

You can remove the CDV, but that won't solve the clutch slippage problem. All a CDV does is regulate clutch engagement, and when you do a fast 1-2 shift on an AP2, the slip can last much, much longer than the CDV's regulated engagement speed.

The problem is that in 2004, Honda put a flywheel in the car that was twice as heavy as the original, but did nothing to increase the pressure plate's ability to bite on it. Think of it like putting a jet engine on a bicycle, but not giving it better brakes...

Quick Reply: Clutch slip? Or Clutch Delay Valve ?