S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Still Slipping After Delay Removed

Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Still Slipping After Delay Removed

Hey all,

I have an AP2 and after owning it for about 1000 miles I decided to remove the clutch delay valve to improve the clutch response. Well, I did the mod by removing the suggested pieces from the slave cylinder and put everything back together. However, the car still drives like it has the delay in. It slips at high RPM shifts just like it did before. What could be going on here? Is it possible I didn't remove all the parts I needed to? The car only has 2500 miles on it and I haven't abused the clutch in any way. What is going on here?

I was thinking about just purchasing an Ap1 slave cylinder and bolting that on instead. If I decide to go this route, where can I purchase one of these and ~ how much will it cost? Thanks everyone!

Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you releasing the clutch out fast enough?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by s2kv,Feb 6 2006, 12:01 PM
Are you releasing the clutch out fast enough?
Yes, I'm definitely releasing the clutch fast enough. I've had several other people drive my car and they all agree, the clutch is slipping. Any idea what this could be?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

ap1 slave will run around $50+ from Hardtopguy.com. You might have to call him up to get it as I haven't seen it on his website lately. Another option is here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...MASTER+CYLINDER

It's part #10. I've bought things from that site with good service before.

I had mine removed really early on like you. My clutch was fine for a while but started slipping bad after only 15k miles. I went ahead and upgraded the pressure plate to ACT and put a new friction disc in. Feels 10x better now. It's really the setup the car should have come with. Might be something to consider as well.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, if you get it from that site, might as well to get the hose for $16 (part #12). The ap2 hose is kinda long for the older style cylinder. It will work, but the older hose would fit cleaner.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Cyclon, do you feel that you at some point glazed your clutch and that was the cause for the early replacement? Or was it actually directly caused by the removel of the clutch delay?

I'm just curious since I have yet to do this little mod, and just want to know any negitives that anyone may have encoutered.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Feb 6 2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, I'm definitely releasing the clutch fast enough. I've had several other people drive my car and they all agree, the clutch is slipping. Any idea what this could be?
My 06 does this too!!! I thought it was the VSA or something. I have not tried shifting hard without it but after reading this I can only assume my car is like yours. It feels like it is oozing into the next gear when the clutch is dropped from the higher RPM ranges. But its fine when its launched. whats is up with that???
Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by WTFWASTHAT?,Feb 6 2006, 07:46 PM
My 06 does this too!!! I thought it was the VSA or something. I have not tried shifting hard without it but after reading this I can only assume my car is like yours. It feels like it is oozing into the next gear when the clutch is dropped from the higher RPM ranges. But its fine when its launched. whats is up with that???
Weird! Did you remove your clutch delay valve as well? If not, then that's what's causing your problems.

Cyclon - thanks for the great info. Looks like I might just go ahead and order an Ap1 slave cylinder and see what that does. If I still have slippage t hen I'll look into changing my pressure plate etc. How much did that cost you if you don't mind me asking??
Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Feb 6 2006, 08:07 PM
Weird! Did you remove your clutch delay valve as well? If not, then that's what's causing your problems.

Cyclon - thanks for the great info. Looks like I might just go ahead and order an Ap1 slave cylinder and see what that does. If I still have slippage t hen I'll look into changing my pressure plate etc. How much did that cost you if you don't mind me asking??
What does this delay valve do? Is it hard to remove?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by WTFWASTHAT?,Feb 6 2006, 08:10 PM
What does this delay valve do? Is it hard to remove?
check your pm...

Quick Reply: Clutch Still Slipping After Delay Removed