S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch went out. need help asap

Old 02-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch went out. need help asap

ok my clutch went out. seems like the wire is either loose or broken. i shifted gears and hit around 5-6k rpm and it just went out. absolutely positive didnt hit redline or anything. it's got 16k miles and 04. how easy is it to reconnect the wire and how? thanks. need to know so i can repair or pay to get it towed.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:20 PM

If you were local my buddy at the dealer would do it for cheap.Good luck bud!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:24 PM

thanks. i think its still under warranty bumper to bumper for 36k miles. i only have 16k miles. i can get it repaired practically free by my mechanic. but i want to go to the dealer since they know how to work on it more. besides why fix it out of pocket if its still covered.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 PM

I read your post wrong.Take advantage of warranty.
I got a new diff, axles, 3 cluthes, new gears, soft top, wheel bearings and more with my 100k warranty.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:40 PM

i called a dealership that i know is seedy since mine wont answer their flipping phone. they think it might be hydraulics and told me they need to look at this and that, etc. i just bought the car used at 7k miles last september and put about 10k miles on it but its too soon for that to go out. i redline it every now and then...maybe once per month but this is no more than what i used to do to my gsr. sucks. i'm gonna take it to my regular shop.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by preludexl,Feb 9 2006, 07:13 PM
ok my clutch went out. seems like the wire is either loose or broken. i shifted gears and hit around 5-6k rpm and it just went out. absolutely positive didnt hit redline or anything. it's got 16k miles and 04. how easy is it to reconnect the wire and how? thanks. need to know so i can repair or pay to get it towed.
We have a hydraulic clutch system. There are no wires. What do you mean by "it just went out"?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 PM

I was changing from 2nd gear to 3rd gear in heavy traffic. All of a sudden the clutch stayed depressed and wouldnt come out. My stick seemed to stick at the same time. But I couldnt get no power when I gassed it so I stuck it in neutral (that or I couldnt get it into gear and had to leave it in neutral) and coasted into a parking lot. It was pretty quick seeing as I had to get out of traffic. Anyway, the clutch is limp now. Friend of mine told me that either the wire is out or the hydraulics are out. I'm just going to get it towed to the dealership tomorrow. I wouldnt are if I had towing coverage but i found out i didnt when i called my insurance company. Bought it tonight, maybe I can use it tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll have to shell out a few hundred to get it towed.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 PM

anyone tow a S before? my friend offered to tow it with his jeep.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

An S2000 is not to be towed. It must be flatbedded (see owner's manual).
Can you tell if the clutch is stuck in the engaged or disengaged position?
Any other details you might care to share. Is this car new to you? Previous owner? Do you know if the clutch delay valve has been messed with?
More details may refine my response but for now, I think your problem will be between the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing. I think the hydraulics is fine, but something in the area I mentioned has dislodged or has broken.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is exactly what happens when you blow out the slave cylinder. In my case that happened (on the back straight at TWS) after Honda replaced the clutch and failed to tightened the bolts holding the slave cylinder.. rattled off after a couple thousand miles.

Quick Reply: clutch went out. need help asap