S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coilovers v. Springs

Old 04-22-2001, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a technical, yet easy-to-understand-for-the-novice education on these two basic suspension setups to lower the car.

From what I know, which is very little, springs simply lower the car and do not improve handling performance over stock. They also add stress to the stock shocks because most likely the two aren't matched to work together.

Coilovers allow you to adjust height, corner balance (what is this?), and go on to markedly improve handling, but you pay hundreds of dollars more for these enhancements.

I'm not a track guy, but would love to improve handling over stock on say... an Audi S4. So I'm not sure if I need all that adjustability, but if coilovers provide the firmer ride, better handling, it would be worth it for me to go this way rather than dropping the car with springs for $250 and just get better looks with it.

Wrong? Right? Personal opinions, fellas?
Old 04-23-2001, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly correct. In general, coil-overs allow you to raise and lower the ride height infinitely (within limitations of the suspension) according to your taste. It depends on what brand you buy, but you usually have more freedom over picking spring rates- companies like Ground Control will ship you whatever spring rate you want from softer-than-stock to bone-jarring thousands of pounds per inch for those "track guys." Many of the good ones use Eibach ERS springs, so swapping springs at a later time (or with friends, used springs) is a little easier since they are more standard. A true coil-over "kit" usually comes with a high-quality damper that's rebound or rebound and compression adjustable and matched to the spring you buy. This is important as a spring rate much higher than stock, if you use the stock damper, will make the car pretty bouncy over bumps. It will also reduce the life of stock damper if it's used.

Your run-of-the-mill "lowering" or "sport" spring is shorter than stock (lowering the car) and also usually stiffer, improving handling. Most of these are in the 15%-30% stiffer-than-stock range, improving handling and feel while remaining streetable. They are also usually 1-2" shorter improving looks and reducing "wheel gap." Even with this low of an increase in spring rate it's a good idea to get a stiffer shock/strut- you can still get some bounce with stock struts.

I'm not familiar with the S4 but I can guess it's a lot stiffer than the A4. I unfortunatley don't have a lot of experience with aftermarket S2k springs, so you'll have to ask around as to the spring rates or increase in stiffness. Usually 15% over stock is very noticeable, then 30% over stock, then 60% over stock... and so on. The stiffer they get, the harder it is to differentiate in handling and feel.

You'll have to do your research as to what kits come with what. Tein coil-overs in Japan come with pillow-ball spherical bushings to replace the upper perch and have everything you need to just swap the entire damper assembly. I believe the Mugen/Showa ones are the same. Ground Controls and most of the "Ebay" ones are *just* the threaded body, adjuster, and springs and do NOT include the damper (you have to go to Koni or KYB for those). I'm not sure GC even offers a kit for the S2k yet. A complete kit like the Tein or Mugen is nice as you don't have to break apart the stock damper assembly (like you would for a simple spring) but of course is much more expensive.

If you don't need the adjustability, I'd go for an aftermarket spring. Be careful, though, if you go with coil-overs- anything less than a 20 or 30% increase in stiffness probably won't get you the improvement you're looking for.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-23-2001, 07:57 AM

You da man! I was actually looking into H&R coilovers for the Audi S4. Wonder if this kit has the all the goodies you mention.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:58 AM

That's a pretty good answer. I just wanted to add a couple things.

1. Coilvers (a full spring/dampener combo) will cost you several thousand dollars (not just a few hundred more, as you thought in your post). Around $3000+ for the S2000, probably a little less for your S4 (I wont get too complicated, but most s2000 dampeners have external resevoirs which bring the cost up).

2. Any time you lower the car, you are lowering the center of gravity, which is inherently good for handling. BUT, there are a few things that can override this benefit. Usually, these problems arise when you lower the car a lot... You may throw the alignment too far out of whack to be adjusted for and hurt the handling that way. Also, you may throw the suspension geometry off enough that it hurts your handling. And, as marcucci mentioned, you may keep your shocks from being able to do their job, which will hurt handling.

That said, I use HKS springs with stock shocks on my S2000 and it handles quite a bit better than stock, does not have any noticable bounce, and I've been using them with stock shocks for around 12000 miles with no noticable wear to the shocks (although that's not to say they will last as long as they would with stock springs). The car sits about 1.1" lower than stock. I was able to get the alignment almost completely back to spec with me sitting in the driver's seat, but I do have about a quarter of a degree of extra negative camber in the rear over the stock spec (ran out of adjustment).

HTH.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
[B]I need a technical, yet easy-to-understand-for-the-novice education on these two basic suspension setups to lower the car.

From what I know, which is very little, springs simply lower the car and do not improve handling performance over stock.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:19 AM

Dude
Give me a call and I will tell you what works form my S4 expirence.
Mark
1-800-***-****

-
Old 04-23-2001, 10:29 AM

Silver, getting mine in late August... probably the last allocation of the current generation S4 to come to NA. 6-speed.

I could get it sooner, but wanted to save up for some mods. I don't like it stock. I want to take it to Stage II and be done with it.

Planned mods:
-H&R Coilovers (I think these are pretty much unbeatable for v. shocks/springs setups)
-Rear sway bar
-Borla exhaust
-Tanoga Short Shifter (UUC currently does not have a version for the newer 2001s/2002s)
-And maybe a lil' somethin' else.

Did you get yours yet?
Old 04-24-2001, 02:42 PM

[B]Silver, getting mine in late August... probably the last allocation of the current generation S4 to come to NA.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:46 PM

After much feedback from the S4 people, I'm not going with the H&R coilovers. I'm going with Eibach Pro-Kit springs or MTM springs.

Coilovers are overkill for me. I will add a rear-sway bar.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:52 PM

[B]After much feedback from the S4 people, I'm not going with the H&R coilovers.

Quick Reply: Coilovers v. Springs