S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Common S2000 Problems/Solutions (1999-2009)

Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I done tons of research on why my s2000 wont start on the first try after sitting outside overnight and cannot come up with a solution. I did a: map whak, 10-30 oil change with m1-104 filter, cleaned air filter, replaced an o2 (code po131), changed the serpentine belt, spark plugs and inspected the coils, perform ecu idle relearn and reset, changed the battery.. Holy cow lol all in one month. Anyways the car starts fine in the garage even after sitting for 3 days. the minute its outside over night, it stalls on first crank than starts for the rest of the day. Temps are 87 in the after noon, 40 at nihht. Learning ecu problem?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 AM

I am in the UK hhave a 2003 AP1 with 58k recorded miles.I have run VTI and ATR cars in the past so am used to Honda ownership.I currently have a terrible vibration which raises its ugly head on our motorways at any speed you care to mention over 60 mph.I thought I was going to shake to bits and was nearly panicked into an hard shoulder stop to ring the breakdown services but the vibration went as quick as it came leaving me nervous it would return.I have now had this manifestation on 3 occasions and wonder if it can be the hard top as that sounds like a box of empty bottles on rough roads.I have had the following reasons given to me Tyres inbalanced,Differential problems,cv joint problems,drive shaft is loose,hard top not fitting comfortably,axle pbent,alloys bent etc etc.
Just wondering if any of you guys have experience of this problem and how you eventually rectified it?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM

My S2K pulls harshly to the left when I change go up the gears .. quick I go the more of a shunt left it gives. Also even if I am just cruising at say 50mph and put my foot down on the accelerator the whole car pulls harshly to the right for a few seconds. Now I've checked tyre pressures. Checked tread. Been under the car and everything is sweet. But it is not safe to drive at the minute... someone please help!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Its a 2001 btw.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM

your post was very helpful thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 AM

Rattle when in neutral / Rattle stops when clutch is pressed. Throw out bearing?
Do I need to get this sorted before It causes me more problems? And is this an easy job...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrylennon
Rattle when in neutral / Rattle stops when clutch is pressed. Throw out bearing?
Do I need to get this sorted before It causes me more problems? And is this an easy job...
Throw out bearing, it's normal, I"m on my third clutch kit since owning the car.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey just wondering if any one knew about this....About 2,000 miles ago i noticed what looked like an oil leak coming from the crease where the head gasket is. I took it into Honda as the car is still under warranty and they had it for a week and said they replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket. They also sprayed the area with a leak trace residue. I then drove the car for about 2,000 miles and noticed that it was still leaking in that area. Whats weird is I have no loss of power, and that I noticed when I would redline I could hear a pressure release noise (sounds like a blow off valve). A buddy said it sounds like a vacuum leak and I took it back to the dealer. They have had the car for 3 weeks and said they cant figure out whats wrong with it up until today when they said they found a hose that was leaking. I don't feel confident in their find and don't want to blow my motor. I cant take it to another dealer because my car is now past the 60k powertrain warranty and this is the only dealer that will do it under warrant because its an open issue in there system before the warranty expired. Any advice will help, if anyone has had a similar issue and figured out what it is so I can tell these techs to loo there would be much appreciated. My car is a 2008 cr in case that is important. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM

does anyone know where i can get really good weather stripping for a mugen rep hard top...
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 AM

I Put rotella t6 synthetic 5w-40 in my engine and transmission FYI. Shifts like butter

Quick Reply: Common S2000 Problems/Solutions (1999-2009)