S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Competition Clutch failure/ recommendations?

Old 11-23-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition Clutch failure/ recommendations?

So I was driving and shifting between 3rd and 4th and the car wouldn’t go into gear. Clutch pedal was stuck down and I pulled it up. Pulled over and the engine wasn’t running. When I push the clutch pedal down it’s really hard about 2 inches from the floor. The car won’t try to start unless I push the pedal down as hard as I can and then it just barely tries to turn over. It’s a stage 3 with about 6000 miles on it. I hated that damn clutch. The clutch buzz/rattle and the springs jingling when cruising, ugh I just hated how it sounded. All this led to a lousy Thanksgiving. Lol

I have a 2.4 stoked fully rebuilt InlinePRO engine. I plan to turbo and I plan to get 500-600 hp out of it. I need a clutch that can handle that and isn’t a POS. I figure when we pull the clutch we’ll see that it failed. I wish I knew how horrible they are before I installed it.

Anyway guys, that sound like the clutch to you that’s my problem? Also any recommendations for a clutch? I know the OEM disc with with ACT pressure plate is popular but how much can that setup handle?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

you say it won't start unless the clutch is pushed in...is the trans in gear or neutral?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It sounds like your thrust bearing is toast
Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like your throw-out bearing exploded. With any of these clutches, only use the OEM throw-out bearing. I'm boosted and I had a ACT HD clutch and it slipped at 420, my buddies didn't slip til 480. I'm running a sprung clutch masters FX500 now at 508. The pressure plate is super light but honestly I dont like CM either. The first one they sent me slipped at 350tq..these are suppose to be rated at 450tq. The new one has been alright. I pulled it after 12k miles and the friction isn't very worn so it looks like it'll last a good while. But anything over say 550ish I'd say is twin disk territory
Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
It sounds like your thrust bearing is toast
Yeah... UGH! Esp that starting issue. I hope not, as an engine rebuilt maybe in order, along with a new clutch.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Yeah... UGH! Esp that starting issue. I hope not, as an engine rebuilt maybe in order, along with a new clutch.

why would I need to rebuild the engine? I hope not because the engine only has 6000 miles on it also. I also didn’t realize the throwout bearing issue until I already installed the clutch.

I think the engine not starting is because the clutch isn’t allowing the engine to rotate. That’s why when I press the pedal really hard it start to try to start.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ajohnson
you say it won't start unless the clutch is pushed in...is the trans in gear or neutral?
No it’s in neutral and I can still shift it into gears all though trying to put it in reverse is difficult.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Something is more wrong than the clutch. If the car won’t start in neutral (where it wouldn’t matter if clutch was engaged or disengaged) then something bad is going down. I would start looking at either destroyed gearbox, preventing the engine from turning over or a serious engine problem.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ajohnson
Something is more wrong than the clutch. If the car won’t start in neutral (where it wouldn’t matter if clutch was engaged or disengaged) then something bad is going down. I would start looking at either destroyed gearbox, preventing the engine from turning over or a serious engine problem.

See when it happened I was shifting from 3rd to 4th and it wouldn’t go into gear. The engine was revving and trying to grind the gear. I then realized the clutch pedal was to floor. I pulled it up and it was after that the engine went off. The clutch pedal is hard as a rock about 2-3 inches from the floor. When I press it as hard as I can(it barely budged just a little) it frees the engine up enough to turn a little when I try to start it.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:25 AM

Also the car made no weird noises and didn’t have any smellls smoke or anything when all this happened.

Quick Reply: Competition Clutch failure/ recommendations?