S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech = Nightmare!

Old 06-13-2002, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech = Nightmare!

Purchased a CAI from comptech May 10th, did not receive it untill June 10th due to back order. Today I paid an Acura/Honda Mechanic and my personel mechanic to install this piece of equipment. I am not a mechanic an figured I should have one put this in for me.

The install was very smooth. The directions were not hard to follow. The only unfortunate thing is that in order to use this I have to remove my hood.

I can not close the hood. The directions say to push down hard enough to crush the foam around the hose under the new airbox.

DID this, no improvement. So I removed the entire airbox put the filter back on and the hood would close 3 of 4 times.

If anyone has any advise please let me know what to do.

Otherwise I will be shipping this BACK to comptech this week. Once in this looks like such a cheap design that I may return it based on that alone.

I am entirely disappointed.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:33 PM

Get an Injen, I just got mine about a month ago. I absolutely love it, looks and sounds great.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:21 PM

Don't blame Comptech. I'd talk to your installer. The airbox is the same as that used for the supercharger and it fits nicely under the hood. Unless your installer doesn't know what he or she is doing.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just finished installing mine - about an hour ago actually. I didn't have any clearance problems as noted. with the help of blake and matt (infinitebass & azreal) we got it resolved before the issue came about. there is the bolt that holds down the "box" at the bottom to an EXISTING airbox mount - if this is NOT tightened down, and is not flush, your hood will not close.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

step #4 states: ...start rear lowerbolt, when both bolt are starteed, push down on bottom of the box, with force, while tightening these two bolts. This is to crush the foam around the A/C lines under the box, if this is not done, the carbon fiber lid may rub against the hood.

I can almost guarantee this is the issue you are having. Its not with the hood, its with the actual box itself not being pushed down all the way.

let me know what you discover and feel free to contact me via email/pm/phone if you have any questions. thanks!
Old 06-14-2002, 07:52 AM

In my opinion the Vortech is a better setup. But thats only my opinion. The setup on the vortech seems much cleaner and more efficient. The comptech should fit in without problems though. I would agree with a few other people that yout install is not correct. There should be no problems with the hood what so ever. If you get it fixed post us some pictures
Old 06-14-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by 2k2S2000NY
In my opinion the Vortech is a better setup. But thats only my opinion. The setup on the vortech seems much cleaner and more efficient. The comptech should fit in without problems though. I would agree with a few other people that yout install is not correct. There should be no problems with the hood what so ever. If you get it fixed post us some pictures
I believe that he's talking about a CAI, ..unless Vortech makes a CAI that Im unaware of....
Old 06-15-2002, 07:14 PM

IT is in. It does what it is supposed to do. But I had to remove the stilt that holds the hood open. HP's are there but I can not close the hood with the car intact. I am going to leave it in there a few days and drive it some. Then I will Try to put the rest of the car back together.

It really does make a difference with how the car drives. I was suprised. I did not think that it would be as effective as it was.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCS2k
[B]Don't blame Comptech.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:11 AM

BTW You might have to "dremel" out the hole for the hood pin cause it should be to small. And I mean it will fit but its very tight. I made mine a little bigger so I didn't have to worry about it breaking, the cover.

Quick Reply: Comptech = Nightmare!