S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech to Intercooler Piping

Old 10-27-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech to Intercooler Piping

The opening on the blowe is 3 inch and the opening on the throttle body is 2 1/2 inch. Now I bought an intercooler and the opening on the pass side of the intercooler is 2 inch and the opening on the driver side is 2 1/2 to match the throttle body. Now the question is should I redo the pass side to make it 3 inch to go along wih the s/c or should I make the pipe smaller after coming out of the blower down to 2 inch? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM

hello
Old 10-27-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello,

I would think putting a 2 inch restriction in line would decrease perfomance. I suggest modifying the cooler opening from 2 inch to 3 inch would be the way to go intuitively. Am I missing something?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 PM

do you think its going to make a big difference or jsut a slight?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:56 PM

i am stumped
Old 10-28-2004, 06:59 AM

help
Old 10-28-2004, 08:10 AM

does this sound right??

toayoztan: you won't lose psi
toayoztan: wouldn't adding an IC increase your volume, thus already decreasing your psi b/c you have more volume to cover for a set amount of pressure? yup, you would
toayoztan: and i would make the pipe 2" before going into the IC
toayoztan: you won't have that drastic of a bottle neck
toayoztan: versus keeping a 3" pipe and jamming it in the end to a 2" inlet
toayoztan: remember...if boost is constant/set and is determined by your pulley (not actuators), you technically would have more psi w/ less volume
toayoztan: so a 2" pipe would be more beneficial in higher psi than a 3" pipe
toayoztan: in terms of "how much psi is created"
toayoztan: in terms of performance, that can be a-whole-nother story
S2KJerome: well what of performance
S2KJerome: brb again
toayoztan: ok
toayoztan: well, it depends
toayoztan: you don't want to have too much psi for such a small amount of volume (in this case, the pipe size)
toayoztan: that would just cause restriction
toayoztan: so you see, it's kind of a trade off
toayoztan: how much psi would you lose in having a 3" pipe versus 2" pipe? I don't know, it could be .5 psi, or up to 2psi (highly doubt it)
toayoztan: that's just where dyno figures or first hand experience from others come in
toayoztan: but it may be better losing .5 psi b/c of a 3" pipe to get rid of a restriction on airflow that a 2" pipe MAY cause
toayoztan: and you have to remember
toayoztan: the other side of the IC is using only 2.5inch piping
toayoztan: if you do indeed use a 3" pipe for the inlet...that would create another bottleneck, technically speaking
toayoztan: 2" to IC to 2.5" may be bottlenecking it (depends)
toayoztan: i mean, it wouldn't be
toayoztan: 3" to IC to 2.5" would be bottlenecking (technically speaking)
Old 10-28-2004, 08:34 AM

you're measuring the OD-outer diameter of the S/C charge exit. You need to take the ruler and measure the inner diameter as that's what you need to go by for the piping.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BLOWNJROCK,Oct 28 2004, 08:10 AM
does this sound right??

toayoztan: wouldn't adding an IC increase your volume, thus already decreasing your psi b/c you have more volume to cover for a set amount of pressure? yup, you would
toayoztan: remember...if boost is constant/set and is determined by your pulley (not actuators), you technically would have more psi w/ less volume
toayoztan: in terms of "how much psi is created"
toayoztan: in terms of performance, that can be a-whole-nother story
S2KJerome: well what of performance
S2KJerome: brb again
toayoztan: ok
toayoztan: well, it depends
toayoztan: you don't want to have too much psi for such a small amount of volume (in this case, the pipe size)
toayoztan: how much psi would you lose in having a 3" pipe versus 2" pipe? I don't know, it could be .5 psi, or up to 2psi (highly doubt it)
toayoztan: that's just where dyno figures or first hand experience from others come in
toayoztan: but it may be better losing .5 psi b/c of a 3" pipe to get rid of a restriction on airflow that a 2" pipe MAY cause
toayoztan: and you have to remember
toayoztan: the other side of the IC is using only 2.5inch piping
toayoztan: if you do indeed use a 3" pipe for the inlet...that would create another bottleneck, technically speaking
Lets take your list, and answer it like a list:

All psi is not equal. You can gain PSI by having restrictions. Will you have a power loss? No. Because stock to what you will have will be much better. Will it be optimal? No. The smaller the diameter, the more resistance you will have, the less power you will make. If size doesn't matter, Make your ic piping 1 inch diameter. But that would be stupid...

A decrease in volume will condense your charge. When you bring all the molecules of oxygen tighter together, you have a better charge. The more oxygen the more gas the bigger the explosion. The cooler the charge, the more timing you can advance, the more power you will have. The pressure drop with an IC for this disucssion is related to friction and added distance.

Why not make it 1 inch? Hell with that theory why not just push all the air you need through a 1/8 inch tubing?

Why do you want a bottle neck? If you are not trying to optimize your performance, why bother with the added IC.

Without looking up the answer for the actual sizes, I will accept the numbers. However I believe the throttle body is 2 1/2?... anyway, you are better of with a gradual taper than a sudden change in size.

Volume is what makes the power not PSI. assuming all other things =, if you have `8psi and no resistance, you are taking your 2 L motor, and pushing 3 L of air throug it. PSI does not make power! Port your head, put a good exhaust on the car, you will actually have less PSI than before. Do you think a free flowing engine will make less POWER?

Restriction does not create power in an engine.

Again PSI does not create power, it is the VOLUME OF OXYGEN IN THE COMBUSTING CHAMBER AND THE MATCHED VOLUME OF COMBUSING FLUID AT AN APPROPERIATE A:F RATIO.

A bottle neck is when you go from large to small, not small to large.

Hey, he got 1 right!

My honest opinion, don't deal with an idiot.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 PM

right on man, give em ur honest and factual knowledge. About time someone else stepped up

BTW, going too large right away without gradually enlarging will create turbulence same with reducing piping size. Always match up piping with the inner diameters, not outter and get the correct sized wall for the strength which determins the outter diameter.

Quick Reply: Comptech to Intercooler Piping