S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant bleed problems

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Originally Posted by 623baller' timestamp='1384386852' post='22876153
[quote name='s2000maniac' timestamp='1365778607' post='22469383']
Dont open the bleeders. Get a large funnel that will fit tightly on the radiator. Then put the funnel on the radiator and fill it up with coolant. Turn the car on and heat on to max. Let the fans com on a few times and you should feel the air getting really hot. When the fans com on the thermostat opens and sucks in more coolant and all the air comes out. That's how I did mines.

how many times did you had to repeat and refill or just once? i am assuming you just have to keep the car running and refill if the coolant gets sucked in too low and wait until all bubbles are out?
And wait till the heater is blowing really HOT, DO NOT drive the car if the heater is not blowing HOT air.
[/quote]

special thanks for s2000maniac, had a couple offline messages with him and here's a high level process to use for bleeding the air bubbles out without having to open up bleeder screws in the front or rear. (there are other threads with pictures for reference on how to drain...etc). you will need a spill free funnel for this to work (google slip free funnel, you should be able to find one, manufacturer is lisle, it's a big yellow funnel with a bunch of adapter conenctors to mount onto the radiator hole) there are also some youtube videos that demonstrate this just search coolant flush, there's a guy with shaved head that does it on his accord and civic.

1. turn key ignition to II and turn temperature knob to full heat, no fan needed. then turn off and take out your keys
  2. drain the coolants and back up reservoir. once all drained, lock the drain plug and proceed to next step
  3. fill the back up reservoir up somewhere between low and max line
  4. plug and play the spill free funnel and make sure it's tight on the radiator cap hole
  5. fill the funnel to half way full
  6. turn on the car and watch the funnel start burping bubbles out
  7. watch the radiator fan come on a couple time, it may start sucking the coolant from the funnel in, top off the funnel to mid point
  8. wait until there are no more bubbles burping, and the blowing HOT air inside the car
  9. shut off the car, come out and plug the funnel so you can take it off
  10. fill the back up reservoir to maxline (use whatever was left from the funnel)
  11. you are done! (go out for a drive and test to make sure it's not overheating (AP1 3 bar, AP2 eight bar)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 623baller
  1. turn key ignition to II and turn temperature knob to full heat, no fan needed. then turn off and take out your keys
  2. drain the coolants and back up reservoir. once all drained, lock the drain plug and proceed to next step
  3. fill the back up reservoir up somewhere between low and max line
  4. plug and play the spill free funnel and make sure it's tight on the radiator cap hole
  5. fill the funnel to half way full
  6. turn on the car and watch the funnel start burping bubbles out
  7. watch the radiator fan come on a couple time, it may start sucking the coolant from the funnel in, top off the funnel to mid point
  8. wait until there are no more bubbles burping, and the blowing HOT air inside the car
  9. shut off the car, come out and plug the funnel so you can take it off
  10. fill the back up reservoir to maxline (use whatever was left from the funnel)
  11. you are done! (go out for a drive and test to make sure it's not overheating (AP1 3 bar, AP2 eight bar)
Sorry to revive a thread but I just used this method (was on my long list of things to do) and I think it worked excellently!
The Lisle spill-free funnel was an excellent xmas present to myself

For me, there were only a few bubbles that came out into the funnel while running the car. When I shut the car off however, a few more burped out - I don't think it's anything to worry about. While the coolant was running around with the funnel on I could actually see some of the old coolant discoloration coming up through the funnel into the bulk mix of fresh coolant. This is what told me the coolant was bleeding through the system well!

Question though: Is this considered a "full bleed" of our coolant system or just a majority bleed? I've heard that a full bleed is terribly complicated? I don't really care, my car has 99%+ fresh coolant so IDC really, but I'm just curious if there were any nooks and crannies that this method doesn't account for.

Thanks again for the instructions!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Did you remove the drain plug on the motor block as well?
I used the same method for bleeding by the way and it worked great. I had LOTS of air though, maybe because I drained it completely.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Did you remove the drain plug on the motor block as well?
I used the same method for bleeding by the way and it worked great. I had LOTS of air though, maybe because I drained it completely.
I did not, just the bottom radiator one... I thought that was the one referenced... did I make a boo boo? lol
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

No you are fine, it wasn't that much that came out from the block.
Maybe half a liter or something, tried to catch it all in a bucket but it just made a real mess
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
No you are fine, it wasn't that much that came out from the block.
Maybe half a liter or something, tried to catch it all in a bucket but it just made a real mess
Ok cool. Yea I figured since I was running the engine with the funnel on the radiator that the coolant was running around all the nooks and crannies of the block, tstat, etc and being 'replaced' (diluted) with the fresh coolant - hence why I could see a little bit of color coming up through the funnel (old coolant color).
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Sp.../dp/B001A4EAV0

Fill everything up so the funnel is nearly all the way full, open back bleeder and keep funnel full till water flows with no air bubbles. Cap that off then open the front bleeder till it flows good. If you still have all the hoses going to the throttle body and iac you may have to pop the line off the front of the intake manifold by the bleeder until water comes out of the hose.

No need to do any of this with the car running at all.

The bleeders allow water to flow to both sides of the thermostat so running the car is pointless. Make sure the over flow tank is full b/c it will suck fluid in as needed.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Dont open the bleeders. Get a large funnel that will fit tightly on the radiator. Then put the funnel on the radiator and fill it up with coolant. Turn the car on and heat on to max. Let the fans com on a few times and you should feel the air getting really hot. When the fans com on the thermostat opens and sucks in more coolant and all the air comes out. That's how I did mines.

this is great. You dont even need to bleed the s2000 coolant then? If I am reading this right our car will bleed out the bubbles itself?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Gotta give the upper rad hose some squeezes that'll help burp the air out.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

wow, did i just see xviper post here?

Quick Reply: Coolant bleed problems