S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Crankshaft end play..

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft end play..

Here is my previous post about rebuilding my f20c motor
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...build-1189809/

I have been putting the block back together and noticed last night putting on my new oil pump that the crankshaft was moving in and out. From my guess this isnt normal. Or is it? There is no oil pan, front timing cover, crank pulley or anything attached to the crank. When i dropped the oil pan i did not see any bearing material or thurst washers. Just metal dust shavings from the head losing oil. When the front timiing cover and crank pulley back on will it go away or are my bearing shot?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

The thrust washer bearing is what is supposed to limit crank walk play. Don't assemble this motor further until you sort this out.

You say there was no thrust bearing at all in this motor on disassembly? Are you sure?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

There is always end play or thrust.

but judging by the description of yours it sounds excessive. If your two thrust washers fell out this can be the case. Go back and check you haven’t misplaced those. They do have a tendency to fall out upon assembly so I use some assembly lube on the to hold them in place when I drop the crank in.

FYI normal crank shaft end play/thrust is .004-.014” and this is irrelevant to putting the front timing face on. The front timing face is not load bearing...it literally holds the oil seal that’s all.

Last edited by clubhopper; 01-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Let me clarify this again. The motor is still in the car and never dropped the crank its still in the car so the bearings were never removed. What I meant about not seeing the thrust bearings as if i didnt see any metal chunks or a mangled thrust bearing in my pan. No crank walk or scoring on the block. Also no metal chucks in vtec solenoid. I am rebuilding the block with just new parts like timing chain, oil pump, water pump and oil seals. It definitely moves in and out more than .014 because I can see the movement with my own eyes.. but no bearings or metal/copper chunks
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAYDM919
Let me clarify this again. The motor is still in the car and never dropped the crank its still in the car so the bearings were never removed. What I meant about not seeing the thrust bearings as if i didnt see any metal chunks or a mangled thrust bearing in my pan. No crank walk or scoring on the block. Also no metal chucks in vtec solenoid. I am rebuilding the block with just new parts like timing chain, oil pump, water pump and oil seals. It definitely moves in and out more than .014 because I can see the movement with my own eyes.. but no bearings or metal/copper chunks
Doing it on the car? Dang.

well you’re in it now. Like the service manual says...if the end play is excessive replace the thrust washers and recheck. If end play is still excessive replace the crankshaft and try again. This end play is no joke and must be investigated...maybe measure what that play actually is unless you think it’s moving so much it’s obvious. Best to use a dial gauge because you’ll need it when you resolve this issue.

time for you to drop the motor...this can technically be done with it in the car but to drop the crankshaft you might as well pull the whole damn thing.

Last edited by clubhopper; 01-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 1,256 Likes on 765 Posts

Seeing end play by eye is normal.

Put a dial indicator on there and get a reading, it is likely fine.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 AM

I am very close to dropping this motor. This is my project car so do not want to keep spending money in to it unless I need to. I just bought a dial indicator and will find out. Even if it was excessive wouldnt it drop a thurst bearing or peices of it?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM

What do you guys think of these cylinder walls? I can feel some with my finger nail but nothing crazy.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JAYDM919
What do you guys think of these cylinder walls? I can feel some with my finger nail but nothing crazy.

As long as it doesn’t catch a finger nail and doesn’t run the length of the cylinder you should be ok.

I just rebuilt my engine this past fall. I feel your pain.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 PM

Some of them got caught on my fingernail but wasnt much and none of them go all the way down. I am stuck on what i should do. Hearing rebuilding and sleeving the motor it may not last long as oem...

Quick Reply: Crankshaft end play..