S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Anyone out there ever had a particularly stubborn crank pulley bolt? I have tried every method that I could find on here, freezing, heating, etc. Bought a new Ingersoll Rand W7150 cordless impact rated at 1100 lb-ft and it wont break it loose. I've had 2 ft cheaters on 2 ft breakers and nothing. How hot is too hot to heat the bolt? Maybe not getting enough heat into it to melt the Loctite??? Really getting me frustrated.

Thanks
Rob
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The thread is actually lubricated not loctited (?) prior to torque application. It's a bitch but usually cracks loose on impact when loosening. You are locking up the crank with a hex flat tool ( Honda 07JAB-001040A) or equivalent right? The 19 mm socket goes into the hole in this tool which holds the crank in position.

Utah
Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

I've gotten them off using a mini sledge hammer. Smack the ratchet. Just make sure its dead on so its getting full impact. You might have to set the ratchet up a few times
Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
The thread is actually lubricated not loctited (?) prior to torque application. It's a bitch but usually cracks loose on impact when loosening. You are locking up the crank with a hex flat tool ( Honda 07JAB-001040A) or equivalent right?
Utah
As far as I know the bolt has never been out. I locked the crank with the holder when trying with the breaker bars, no need to with the impact. I guess I'll try freezing it again tomorrow and see how that goes.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My method of removing these, which has yet to fail and is doable by a single person is to use a 2 foot 3/4" breaker bar with 1/2" adapter to hold the crank holding tool wedged against something solid (depending on whether motor is out or not), and then I use my 4 foot 3/4" breaker bar with 19mm socket to snap it loose. The trick is to get a couple quick yanks at it to give it the most initial breaking torque possible, just simply easing into it and pulling will almost never work.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LBPS2K06
Originally Posted by Utah S2K' timestamp='1421898881' post='23477122
The thread is actually lubricated not loctited (?) prior to torque application. It's a bitch but usually cracks loose on impact when loosening. You are locking up the crank with a hex flat tool ( Honda 07JAB-001040A) or equivalent right?
Utah
As far as I know the bolt has never been out. I locked the crank with the holder when trying with the breaker bars, no need to with the impact. I guess I'll try freezing it again tomorrow and see how that goes.

Thanks
As PDx and others noted a quick sharp blow usually does the trick as long as the crank is restrained. The longer the ratchet/ breaker bar and farther out you smack it helps. What breaks the bond is inertia not force.

Utah
Old 01-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the parking break on hard and put the car in 6th gear. then with a breaker bar go for it. I've remove mine a few times like this. the official shop manual says never use an impact gun on this. could damage internals. this bolt is torqued to 184 ft lbs. good luck. I don't use Loctite on mine. properly torqued it won't go nowhere.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by YELLOW JACKET
put the parking break on hard and put the car in 6th gear. then with a breaker bar go for it. I've remove mine a few times like this. the official shop manual says never use an impact gun on this. could damage internals. this bolt is torqued to 184 ft lbs. good luck. I don't use Loctite on mine. properly torqued it won't go nowhere.

Well that's good to know! About to shove this thing down over the hill!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

mine was stubborn as hell, just as you described. Jordanksartell was able to get it loosened with his tried and true method, it was a mother to get loose though, I gave up and left it to Jordan to get it loose. He can do anything
Old 01-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was a real bitch to get off too. Ended up just using brute force. My breaker bar was bending it wont break just go for your life.lol I was about to give up when suddenly mine gave in and moved! Took me hours!

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt