S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cylinder Head Rebuild

Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Rebuild

It has been a while since I posted, but this should be pretty interesting.

My engine was burning a huge amount of oil. It progressively got worse over the last couple of years and then suddenly it was burning more than half a quart a week. I was trying to diagnose the problem, at the very least determine if it was the top or the bottom. I had pretty decent and consistent compression readings all at 220+-15 (done 6 months ago), the motor has about 138k miles on it. After some deliberation I determined/assumed the problem was in the head (oil in the pistons didnt really raise compression much, the pcv was not being heavily used to vent, other such things that made me think that blow by was not a significant contributor to my problems).

So I took the head off and sent it to an engine machine shop that I have had some unrelated business with in the past. They said I needed new valve guides and stem seals all around, and are in the process of looking at the valves. In addition to installing the guides and seals they will check for stress, grind the valve seats if needed, face the valves, check the springs, and clean the head. This will cost about $450. The major factor in deciding to get the head rebuilt was because I dont have the money to rebuild the whole long block.

I have attached some pics of the cylinder walls and pistons, as well as the combustion chambers.

the head, trying to show the cams

So my questions are:
What are your opinions on the cylinder walls? I dont see any issue apart from lack of crosshatch, but im unsure if I should be able to see it at this stage.

Why does it look like only the intake valve seats have copper inserts? (or are the exhaust ones obscured by the gunk deposits?

Do you see any other issues, or can you suggest something that I might also get done.

I should add that I had misfire codes from all cylinders. And obviously a lot of dark smoke out the back, this primarily occurred on acceleration after running at constant rpm for a while.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics no worky.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JDMQuip
Pics no worky.
sorry, fixed now
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tizbad2k
It has been a while since I posted, but this should be pretty interesting.

My engine was burning a huge amount of oil. It progressively got worse over the last couple of years and then suddenly it was burning more than half a quart a week. I was trying to diagnose the problem, at the very least determine if it was the top or the bottom. I had pretty decent and consistent compression readings all at 220+-15 (done 6 months ago), the motor has about 138k miles on it. After some deliberation I determined/assumed the problem was in the head (oil in the pistons didnt really raise compression much, the pcv was not being heavily used to vent, other such things that made me think that blow by was not a significant contributor to my problems).

So I took the head off and sent it to an engine machine shop that I have had some unrelated business with in the past. They said I needed new valve guides and stem seals all around, and are in the process of looking at the valves. In addition to installing the guides and seals they will check for stress, grind the valve seats if needed, face the valves, check the springs, and clean the head. This will cost about $450. The major factor in deciding to get the head rebuilt was because I dont have the money to rebuild the whole long block.

I have attached some pics of the cylinder walls and pistons, as well as the combustion chambers.

So my questions are:
What are your opinions on the cylinder walls? I dont see any issue apart from lack of crosshatch, but im unsure if I should be able to see it at this stage.

Why does it look like only the intake valve seats have copper inserts? (or are the exhaust ones obscured by the gunk deposits?

Do you see any other issues, or can you suggest something that I might also get done.

I should add that I had misfire codes from all cylinders. And obviously a lot of dark smoke out the back, this primarily occurred on acceleration after running at constant rpm for a while.
The block bores look great. The head IMHO needs to go to a machine shop and be redone. I am sure they will want t clean it, valve job and maybe replace a valve or two and a few valve seals.. In the end it will be as good as new.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
The block bores look great. The head IMHO needs to go to a machine shop and be redone. I am sure they will want t clean it, valve job and maybe replace a valve or two and a few valve seals.. In the end it will be as good as new.
Thanks I was a bit worried about the cylinder walls, as I have only seen them in non-sleeved motors in the past.

I just went to go check out the valves, after being resurfaced the seating surfaces did not have enough clearance on either end. The machine shop guys thought that this head had been worked on before and the the valves specifically had been resurfaced, thus not leaving much room for more work afterwards. There were a few valves which were ok, but I decided to replace all of them, i got them at a decent price, about 30% below list.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Those springs with over 100,000 miles on them should be replaced too.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM

We checked the springs, they were well within the specs.

here are some images of the head

Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for bumping an old thread but does anyone have the part number for the oem valve seats ? I can't seem to find it anywhere .
Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

They don't sell valve seats OEM, you'll have to get them aftermarket.