S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damaged to the clutch or transmission?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged to the clutch or transmission?

Hi,

I am a new 2006 s2k owner. I have 5000 miles on it. A week ago, I got an oil change from the dealership. And 2 days after that, I launched at 4k rpm and got to 8k rpm quick like usual, but this time, I was in 2nd gear and I was still red lining and then, instead of backing off (kicking a 04 mustang gt ass) I jumped to 3rd gear and I was still redlining at 33. It was like I never left first gear. I took it easy on the car and checked to make sure the gear are catching? It feels ok, although i can feel it slip or the car doesnt feel as fast. Anyway, I have this burned smell which smells like the transmission being overworked everytime I drive it past 4k rpm.

Can anyone help/advise what I should do?

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You launched your car in a way in which you're not supposed to. You most likely fried your clutch and it started slipping. You need to get a new clutch as soon as possible. Eventually the clutch will get so bad that you won't be able to drive the car anymore.

BTW, the proper way to launch an S2000 is to dump the clutch at 6000-6500 rpms.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by clawhammer,May 3 2007, 09:17 AM
BTW, the proper way to launch an S2000 is to dump the clutch at 6000-6500 rpms.
Actually, this most likely would have made his situation worse. The symptoms that he's describing are classic CDV issues. No launch techniques in the world will overcome the factory CDV and the heavly flywheel on the AP2. Launching at even higher revs would likely exaggerate his situation.

I will agree that it would seem as though he's burnt up his clutch.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 AM

So what if the car is still driving ok now? and the smell isn't as bad? I've also tested the shift at 1st gear redline and going to 2nd which was fine, but I feel a lost in power from when I first got the car.

Let's jsut say I need a new clutch, does the warranty cover any clutch problems? Now, I called them, and they said it depends, as in did I abuse the car, etc. hmmm, The car is a sports car, and they set the rpm to 8k for use to feel the speed. hence, I also said i launched at 4k. I launched at 6k rpm before, but not everyday. What is consider abusing? Of course, I am going to tell them I drive normal shifting at 3k rpm, but wtf, who drives at 3k rpm in a S2K????
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifting at 8000 rpms = not abuse

Launching, whether it be at 4000 or 6000 = abuse

Your warranty will NOT cover the clutch in this case, and it will be very obvious that the car was launched once they tear it down. They will not believe your I shifted at 3000 story.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 AM

Ok, maybe the 3k rpm shifting is a bogus, but you're telling me the car can never be launched? I seriously think I launched the car no more than 5 times, because the fear of this happening. I thought if anything, shifting into the wrong gear would be your personal fault.

anyone have experience with warranty coverage on a clutch? BTW, do I just drive my car until the clutch is fully torn or not working anymore? I feel the car is fine but not in mint condition from the first time I got it. I want to believe that the smell was just from the honda dealership leakage or overage spills that is burning. What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ineedAnewTop,May 3 2007, 10:04 AM
I want to believe that the smell was just from the honda dealership leakage or overage spills that is burning. What do you guys think?
That's pathetic. It's pretty obvious that you burned up the clutch. These symptoms didn't occur until after you raced some guy in a mustang. You even admit that the clutch was slipping badly all the way into third gear. Trying to blame this on the dealer who might have spilled fluids on the car is wishful thinking.

Finally, I can think of no fluid that the dealer would service that would smell like burnt clutch if it were to get on a hot exhaust manifold and start to burn off. Drive the car normal for a while and see if you can get some of the glazing off the flywheel. Do the CDV mod and see if that helps you.

Would you even know where to look to make sure that the dealer serviced your car correctly and didn't spill oil/tranmission fluid/diff fluid all over your car? You don't seem to have a good grasp for how this car operates.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glazed clutch due to clutch delay valve.
If you want to street race, please remove the clutch delay valve first.
Clutch is like a brake pad. It's glazed now, but may recover if you stop roasting it. Drive it conservatively for a few weeks and if it gets better, great.

But remove the clutch delay valve before dragging again. But then prepare to have your warranty voided when you break your diff....

Sounds like a used Corvette or Camaro would be better for you.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:36 AM

I jacked the car up and checked to see if there was any fluid 2 days after the continual smell, and I see no fluid anywhere around the engine or at the bottom of the car.

crvtec, you're right, I don't have a good grasp for how the car operates, that is why I'm asking for help. I guess my next option is to look into the price of a new clutch? Am I still bringing it to the dealership? What is so wrong about trying to have the dealership fix it? Either way, seems like I'll have to get a new clutch, why not try to get the warranty? You work at a dealership? even if you do, why do you care if I'm lying about the launch? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Actually I don't think you've burned it up, but you have reduced the life expectancy of it. I've done the same thing, double clutched a launch and did nothing but burn up some clutch material (before I became "aware" of the CDV which is now gone and I do have a new clutch). As long as you didn't just sit there and fry it you'll still have some life left, pretty stinky though isn't it? With only 5k miles on it I'd say you've still got quite a bit of life left in it but I would definately consider a new one within the next year or so. You'll know when you need one, it'll start slipping a lot.

Alot of people over react to things, be sensible about it, it's just a clutch, a normal wear item, nothing to get all wierd about.

Quick Reply: Damaged to the clutch or transmission?