S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Damaged Steering Rack?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damaged Steering Rack?

hey guys.. i believe that my steering rack is damaged, but i am not quite so technical with the steering components of the AP1 as much as many of you on here, so i am here requesting some help from the pros in order to diagnose what exactly is wrong with my S2000! here is some background information:

I bought the car used, and the seller said that it had hopped a curb before, but they "had all of it fixed." Then, later on, i accidentally hopped the car up a 1 inch high curb while I was trying to get home at 2 AM. that is when it all started.. After i bit the curb, the power steering went out, so i pulled over to see if i had damaged the car. There was no visible damage (other than a bent wheel) and the feeling of no power steering. So i turned the car back on, and the power steering came back. throughout the upcoming weeks, the EPS would go on and off sometimes, and eventually, would just turn off completely. fast forward 4 months, i replaced the power steering unit and the power steering was fine for a little while. Sometimes, the power steering would work after i turn the car on, but after taking a 90 degree corner harder than usual, the power steering would go out instantaneously. Now, the power steering is starting to go out on me once again (not turning on at all)

Also, just recently, when I am driving with the power steering on, sometimes, it would feel very loose turning towards the right, and then very stiff while trying to turn the wheel towards the left.. sort of like the power steering is giving too much towards the right, and not enough towards the left.

My friend also just bought a MY03 and his turn in radius is much shorter than mine. I find it almost impossible to make U-turns in the middle of a block as i have to do a 3 point... can someone please help me??? I really want to start AutoX'ing and a few track days, but I am not sure if i can do this safely while the steering is in this condition...
Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 AM

bump.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay
I'll give it a try.

The EPS has its own Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), as far as I understand independant from the ECU.
According to my Dutch service manual you can install a short-cirquit plug "somewhere" (it's kinda hard to explain) and read out the DTC's by counting the blinks of the EPS light.

In the English service manual on pdf it shows to connect a PGM tester to read out the codes.

Either way, IMO that is what you should do or have it done by a mechanic.
Without the codes its going to be hard to solve - you don't know where to look.

Succes.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:11 AM

yeah.. i heard about that scanner for the EPS DTC, but i dont believe there are any mechanics around here that have it (except for the honda dealership) and when i went to the dealership to ask how much it would cost to plug the thing in and read me a code, they told me that they would have the keep the car overnight, have their technicians diagnose it, and blah blah blah... $220. so i said forget it, if the stealership wants to charge me $220 to plug a scanner into a port for a code, ide rather drive without it.

bump, anyone else have any opinions on this?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would talk to the service manager about. That is WAY above the diagnostic service charge.

I was angry when I wanted my code read at Honda in Toronto and they wanted to charge me $85. They said they don't just tell CEL codes, but that would include a full diagnostic of what the problem entails, with an estimate. Sounds to me like they're trying to hose you.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is suffering the hard left, loose right situation as well.

WTF? I had the transmission replaced and a month later I noticed that the steering gears werent centered. I went back and had the dealership center the steering gear. I still have the "loose to one direction and tight to the other" sensation while driving.

Would an EPS reset remedy this problem? HALP!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a real mechanic to look at the problem. You live in san fransico ya? shouldnt you have more than one honda dealership around. I would find a dealership to go to, dont just have them scan for codes because if your eps light isn't on you may not have any, describe the problem to them and be prepared to leave it overnight (or drop it off first thing in the morning and tell them they've got till the end of the day).
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

When you say "loose to the right and hard to the left," do you mean to say that the steering wheel would not return to center by itself? If so, it may be a bent steering gear... my friend had these same problem and when we took the rack apart, the main rod looked like a weiner....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

^ he too had hit a curb in the manner u described. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bumped this thread because I am having the same problem. Im currently located in Bloomington, IN.

Nic

Quick Reply: Damaged Steering Rack?