S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

did i get burned? semi newb needs help

Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i get burned? semi newb needs help

hey guys , so i have an ap1 that i had a reputable and well, highly recommended shop do a turbo install . im just thinking i got burned a bit . just want some opinions . ok so these guys took forever to finish first of all , to the point of me having to give them an ultimatum ; i need to come pickup my car , finished or not . i had already paid for much of the parts up front . aem ems 2 and a turbo header , fuel injectors and thick head gasket . the turbo was something that i brought to them . so , they said the car is done and i picked it up. the first thing was , i notice that the clutch had a lot of play in it that wasn't there when i dropped it off. its a stage 2 clutch so maybe wasn't the beefiest but not stock so i asked them about it and they said the clutch i have couldn't handle the new found torque /power . and that they couldn't even finish the tune because the clutch was slipping on the dyno . that i need a stage 3 6 puck and then i could finish the tune and be OK. anyway the car a little faster somewhat , but over time i noticed there was vibration getting worse , like the exhaust or em was hitting something . another thing i noticed was the turbo oil return was going into the drain bolt of the oil pan . im still not sure if that is proper or not . i always thought the oil should enter the oil pan somewhere higher to avoid any backup . next thing i noticed was the radiator fan was turning on immediately when the car came on . so i checked the wiring and eventually opened the panel where the aem was installed , and the thing was just like sitting there , not mounted to anything and the wiring looked hokey . it didn't have the nice blue harness extension , it just had my stock ecu harness and it was a bit messy . the guy i had bought the car from had a vafc2 installed so i when i dropped the car off i informed them that they would need to remove it (the afc) when they install aem . instead of removing it they just left it connected ,and the wiring was a mess .electric tape , exposed connections . etc. it could of been like that already , but if it was they should of notified me . and the aem looks like it was used already . i paid for a new model 1,700$ this one has scratches on it and no blue wire harness .
OK so the other day i was cleaning up the wiring and while i was down in that area , i started messing with the clutch . i noticed the play that i had been experiencing ever since getting my car back from the shop , was just coming from the area that the plunger goes in , and i simply loosened the nut behind pedal and adjusted the plunger rod til the play was gone completely . now my clutch is perfect no play no problems . (i never had it slip on me ) . so im starting to think that these guys just rushed it and instead of doing it properly , adjusted my clutch to have me think there was something wrong with it and therefore couldn't finish the tune . due to the fact that they didn't have time finish ,my car was there for maybe 5 months total so its not like i was rushing them . the guys are pretty friendly at the shop and im pretty sure but not positive they will re tune for free. but im just concerned about the other issues i noticed . i guess my question is , is it ok for the oil to drain back into the oil pan drain bolt? should they be responsible to do a cleaner install of the aem , mounted not just laying there , with wires all nice ? i also noticed they put a really small looking oil filter on because the regular size one doesn't fit with new exhaust manifold . and that is where the vibration is coming from , the EM is hitting the oil filter under load . all together i think i gave them 4500$ and that's with me supplying my own turbo . so i paid for an exhaust manifold like 700 , injectors cant remember , maybe 3-400$
aem s2=1,700$ plus thick head gasket , taller plugs to match the tall head gasket , i cant remember if there was anything else but i dont think so . it was like 1500 for the labor from what i recall . all together im pretty sure it was 4500 and it never really ran much faster than stock. because according to them , they didn't have any lbs of boost because they couldn't tune it because of the clutch . i couldn't afford a clutch after dropping 4500 so i just have dealt with it and figured id go back once i could buy a new clutch but since i discovered the clutch is fine , now im starting to get irked . im very interested in what people have to say , because im a bit of a newbie. thanks for reading my long winded post !
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Head = Hurt.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87
Head = Hurt.
LOL YAH ITS QUITE A CONVOLUTED TALE SO I GUESS ILL TRY TO SIMPLIFY :

SHOULD THE TURBO OIL RETURN BE POSITIONED HIGHER THAN THE DRAIN BOLT OR IS IT OK TO HAVE THE RETURN FEED INTO THE DRAIN ?

IS IT OK TO RUN A SMALLER THAN STOCK OIL FILTER ? LIKE HALF THE SIZE?

DOES AN AEM EMS 2 COME WITH THE BLUE EXTENSION WIRE HARNESS OR IS THAT SOMETHING YOU BUY SEPERATE?

SHOULD A STAGE 2 CLUTCH THAT HAS NEVER SLIPPED ONCE BE ABLE TO HANDLE A DYNO TUNE OF A GT35?

I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS BUT I FIGURE IM PROBABLY PUSHING IT ALREADY SO THATS GOOD FOR NOW THANKS
Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ineballer
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1397645551' post='23115043
Head = Hurt.

SHOULD THE TURBO OIL RETURN BE POSITIONED HIGHER THAN THE DRAIN BOLT OR IS IT OK TO HAVE THE RETURN FEED INTO THE DRAIN ?

It should be higher

No

DOES AN AEM EMS 2 COME WITH THE BLUE EXTENSION WIRE HARNESS OR IS THAT SOMETHING YOU BUY SEPERATE?

Aem units have ports for the stock harness to attach to directly to it

SHOULD A STAGE 2 CLUTCH THAT HAS NEVER SLIPPED ONCE BE ABLE TO HANDLE A DYNO TUNE OF A GT35?

Yes, if it was installed correctly

I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS BUT I FIGURE IM PROBABLY PUSHING IT ALREADY SO THATS GOOD FOR NOW THANKS
It sounds like you took your car to the wrong place. Sounds like you bought the wrong parts. It also sounds like you trusted these guys too long. Get you car, dispute their charges, and start over. $4500 isn't enough for the setup you described. It also sounds like it is a miracle your car hasn't blown up yet, either this shop has no idea what they are doing or they are feeding a load of bullshit.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You got burned alright. If the car is not tuned right don't drive it!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ineballer
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1397645551' post='23115043
Head = Hurt.

Head = Throbbing now
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they r a reputable shop like u say, u have to make sure they r when it comes to working with a s2000 or tunning an aem. Some reputable shops don't work on an s2000s or tune aems. They could be working on some other cars and tunning other computers.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paragraphs and not using caps would go a far way towards making your post readable and getting more meaningful replies.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This post was readable so I don't know what everyone is complaining about, it was just long.
First off, I wouldn't drive the car too hard with just the base Map on the EMS. It's really needs to get tuned.
Second, the ecus don't have a place to sit and they just kind of hang there. That's how my EMS is. Alloy craft sells a bracket you can mount to hold the EMS
I would not run the car will a smaller oil filter. Get a relocation kit and run an OEM filter.
I'm not familiar with a stage 2 clutch and the power it can handle. Does sound like your car was rushed at the end. 5 months is ridiculous to install a turbo kit. It can be done in a few days lol
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Why was your car there for 5 months?

Quick Reply: did i get burned? semi newb needs help