S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

which diff mount to go with?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default which diff mount to go with?

I am a street driver, not going on the track other than the occasional day. I have an 04 and it's stock...

I need a differential mount, the rt rear is leaking so I am thinking replace with the rubber/polyurethane type. A kit of 4 is about $160.00 on amazon.

Question #1 anyone have any experience with aftermarket differential mounts?

Question #2, whose do you recommend?

Question #3 I am thinking they have rating in terms of stiffness....they start at 60, then go to 75, WHATEVER that means, anyone have any idea of which one to buy to have a stock controlled ride??

Thanks
Old 11-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If the rest of the car is stock I would stick with OEM. Any aftermarket mount is going to introduce more vibrations even their softest rated ones and there really isn't any point on a car thats otherwise stock. I have a set of Spoon diff mounts that are slightly stiffer than OEM but even those cost a good deal more than the OEM mounts.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Perhaps the mounts that produce the most NVH when going poly are the diff mounts. You'll hate them on a street car.

Go rubber, preferably with oem.

If you want better responsiveness yet still retain most of the oem smoothness, get diff collars (and new rubber mounts, preferably oem). They work surprisingly well.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

after more research I went oem from honda and got all 4 mounts, thanks.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:43 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Perhaps the mounts that produce the most NVH when going poly are the diff mounts. You'll hate them on a street car.

Go rubber, preferably with oem.

If you want better responsiveness yet still retain most of the oem smoothness, get diff collars (and new rubber mounts, preferably oem). They work surprisingly well.
I have noticed the opposite in practice. I have installed innovative poly diff bushings and noticed barely any NVH but every single person that I’ve installed diff collars for has asked me to remove them because the added whine is insufferable.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:09 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
I have noticed the opposite in practice. I have installed innovative poly diff bushings and noticed barely any NVH but every single person that I’ve installed diff collars for has asked me to remove them because the added whine is insufferable.
agreed w this, i've got the hasport poly diff mounts too, with an osgiken. no additional nvh at least that i can notice over the exhaust
Old 11-08-2023, 09:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrx
agreed w this, i've got the hasport poly diff mounts too, with an osgiken. no additional nvh at least that i can notice over the exhaust
Good to know. I am going to be installing Hasport hardened rubber mounts, but if the poly diff mounts don't add any NVH, I might as well go to that. As it is, my diff is vibrating under acceleration so I don't know how much more NVH can be added with new mounts.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:50 AM

Received 1,248 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by that-freakin-guy
Good to know. I am going to be installing Hasport hardened rubber mounts, but if the poly diff mounts don't add any NVH, I might as well go to that. As it is, my diff is vibrating under acceleration so I don't know how much more NVH can be added with new mounts.
Hasport sells hardened rubber nowadays? Or did you mean Hardrace?

"No NVH that I can notice over my exhaust" should probably be the takeaway for you.

The typical S2000 aftermarket exhaust is like riding inside of a jackhammer. So...yeah, you may not notice a damn other thing.

Maybe someone with a stock exhaust a poly mounts can chime in. That may be a more valuable data point.

There's a reason the car didn't come with poly mounts. Likely NVH being the leading reason.
The following users liked this post:
shrykhar (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 03:44 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Previously, everyone that tried poly diff mounts for street hated them. Reported horrible vibes. Obviously tastes and tolerances differ. But it was mostly universal condemnation.

I'd do more research if was contemplating them.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:39 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Hasport sells hardened rubber nowadays? Or did you mean Hardrace?

"No NVH that I can notice over my exhaust" should probably be the takeaway for you.

The typical S2000 aftermarket exhaust is like riding inside of a jackhammer. So...yeah, you may not notice a damn other thing.

Maybe someone with a stock exhaust a poly mounts can chime in. That may be a more valuable data point.

There's a reason the car didn't come with poly mounts. Likely NVH being the leading reason.
Hasport has lovely CNC machined aluminum diff mounts with various durometer (?) inserts- they appear to be changeable based on preference. I just picked some up to try them out (70A)- I found my buddies OEM CR had some quite bearable diff whine (there is less sound deadening in the CR). I don't mind extra NVH so I'm hoping the Hasport mounts work fine.

I couldn't find any videos to show how different they perform. I'm mostly autocross in my s2000.

darcy

Quick Reply: which diff mount to go with?