S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Diff rebuild/repair advice needed

Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Diff rebuild/repair advice needed

i think it's my first post in the UTH section, which says a lot about Honda Engineering. My EU '06 AP112 is 12 years old now, has been daily driven for 8 years, tracked regularly in the summer and on the ice lakes with studded tires in winter, went thru at least 10 sets of pads and god knows how many sets of slicks, couple of clutches, and never ever have i had any mechanical issue whatsoever.

But my baby is starting to show it's age and i'm faced with a problem with my diff. It makes a clicking sound when i'm turning left, and the guys at the shop have listened to the diff while applying load on the wheels and they say it's the diff bearings. Now i looked on the internet and found a set of parts that are required to sort of rebuild the diff if all the gears are in good conditions. All the genuine parts cost around 450 USD and it consists of:
  • pinion bearing front
  • pinion bearing rear
  • pinion seal
  • pinion lock nut
  • crush collar (spacer tube)
  • 2 x side carrier bearings
  • 2 x diff seals
  • 2 x axle spring retainers
I got a couple of questions to all of you here.
1) Diff is silent when cruising straight and in neutral, clicking only appears when turning left, so my understanding is that there shouldn't be any issues with pinion gear itself, problem appears only when it's locking, and so i don't need a new/fully rebuilt diff. Correct?
2) I am planning to supercharge it (maybe, in a couple of years), was planning for a 'light' tune, no more that 300whp. Is the stock diff after it has been repaired will be able to handle it without issues, or should I actually scrap the repair idea and go to new diff or even to one of Puddydad's creations?

any input is appreciated
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

A diff is not an easy thing to rebuild. You have to carefully set the gap between ring and pinion, etc. The stock setup uses a crush sleeve that under heavy load can compress further, causing excelerated wear.

There is a guy called PuddyMod that builds diffs. He has different levels of build, depending on your use. He uses a calibrated, solid sleeve, instead of the crush sleeve, and he does several other things to make the diff much stronger than stock.

The most basic build would be more than your parts cost, but probably not much more than the labor to have someone install those parts, and you wouldn't really be sure they did it right.

Puddy is highly recommended. Especially since you plan to add power down the line.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I didn't even read the post, just here to reply with https://www.s2ki.com/forums/members/s2kpuddydad-36094/ I have one of his diff's and I'm currently working on a set of axles with him. Another diff is on the to do list too.