S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this normal?!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Lew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?!

Currently trying to diagnose a noise coming from the car. It sounds like a harsh vibration or rattle, and I can feel it through the floorpan and slightly through the gearstick.

I can hear it loudest when I'm doing >50mph, and I come off the gas.
When accelerating I can't hear it.
It happens in gear and if I coast in neutral.

I originally suspected drive staft play but in a previous post a user informed me that all seemed normal.

With the info above I now suspect propeller shaft play is the culprit, especially with the on/off gas observation.

Here is a link to a video of me moving the driveshaft by hand, and then using a rear wheel at the end.

Goes without saying, any help and advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by Lew; 08-11-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Lew

My plan is to remove, inspect, clean up and repack the CV joints on the shaft with grease. If that doesn't work then I'll try picking up a used shaft on ebay.

Just waiting for someone to chime in and confirm that the play is excessive and my symptoms point to this being the issue!... Anyone?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lew
My plan is to remove, inspect, clean up and repack the CV joints on the shaft with grease. If that doesn't work then I'll try picking up a used shaft on ebay.

Just waiting for someone to chime in and confirm that the play is excessive and my symptoms point to this being the issue!... Anyone?
most propeller shafts that fail will develop a vibration under load... however I recently encountered a few Nissan rogues that had a similar vibration on deceleration and the culprit ended up being the prop shaft so it is definitely possible it’s the joint on the shaft. My 06 has similar play but I’m not experiencing any of your symptoms. Best of luck
Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

I'm currently trying to find a source that will rebuild our propshaft cv joints. Found a place that said they'd do it for $50 each (so $100 for both ends of the shaft). Ship them the joints, they rebuild them. I want to set them up with a couple of cores so people don't have to have any downtime waiting for rebuild. Swap, send back your cores for the next guy.

Still trying to locate spare cores. If anyone has a bent or otherwise unusable propshaft, and the cv joints aren't physically damaged, I'd be interested in purchasing your cv's.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Lew

Default Solution

Just to close this out... I removed the prop shaft, turns out the gearbox side bolts were not all that tight which was worrying but unsure if thst was the issue. I noticed that there was a little play but nothing significant or abnormal. I took the end caps off and the circlip at the end of the shaft, removed what grease I could and then repacked it. Once reassembled it felt a lot tighter and smoother and back on the car it feels like there's less backlash in the drivetrain and no vibration when income off the gas.

I may do the same for the driveshafts and potentially swap the buckets as well.