S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential problems, maybe axles? Clunking and other symptoms

Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Differential problems, maybe axles? Clunking and other symptoms

After my last track day, I noticed a strange knocking or clunking noise from the rear of the car. I thought I found the issue but apparently not. You can hear AND feel the clunk while driving. It seems to increase with speed.

With the rear off the ground, if I turn one tire, the other doesn't turn right away. I hear the clunk and then it turns a fraction of a revolution and stops. Next revolution same thing happens. Occasionally it "catches" and both start turning together. But then it "slips" again and we're back to clunking and only one side turning.

I'm supposed to be leaving for a track weekend. I guess I'm screwed now.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the following:

1) Axle nut torque?
2) Drain diff fluid and examine?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by fly_S2K
Have you checked the following:

1) Axle nut torque?
2) Drain diff fluid and examine?
I forgot to say I did change the diff fluid and didn't find any pieces or shavings. I did not check axle nut torque. I will do that and report back momentarily.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 AM

The staking marks haven't moved. I decided to re-do the TSB anyway. I got the left side off and got that one almost done. I probably got 40-45 degrees past stock torque before my breaker bar started flexing enough to scare me. I couldn't get the left one off, but again, staking hasn't moved. My 3/4 drive set is on loan to a friend at the moment, but I can try to get it later today.

Noise is still there and it's BAD. I think it's getting worse with each test drive. If I broke the diff, I can't believe I didn't see any pieces or shavings when I drained it.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Just to add a little info, it makes the noise at all times, whether that be coasting, accelerating, or braking.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Check your sway bar endlinks and make sure all the nuts/bolts are secured. Could be something very simple.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Check your sway bar endlinks and make sure all the nuts/bolts are secured. Could be something very simple.
It's rotational, so it's in the drivetrain for sure.

Small update: I did the factory test procedure for the LSD by putting the car in first gear and turning one rear wheel by hand. The other turned the opposite direction like it's supposed to. And there wasn't any audible clunking while doing that.

I talked to PuddyMod on the phone. He said to take a mechanics stethoscope around the drivetrain to pinpoint the noise, so I guess that's what I'll be doing next.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

I developed a clunk after a hard canyon run myself. Only happens when engaging the clutch after a shift, forward and back. I'm gonna drain the diff and check that but I've already ruled out axles/sway bars. My guess is the diff bushings or the prop shaft.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
I developed a clunk after a hard canyon run myself. Only happens when engaging the clutch after a shift, forward and back. I'm gonna drain the diff and check that but I've already ruled out axles/sway bars. My guess is the diff bushings or the prop shaft.
I hear and mildly feel a "gunk" when the car is stationary, and I'm going into 1st. If you got to think of a scenario, think parallel parking the car. It doesn't grind or have difficulty going into 1st. Just that, when I move the shifter towards 1st, just before it goes in it *slight gunk*.

Think parallel parking the car. Goes out and check my spot, and I need to inch forward a bit. Steps back into the car, moves the shifter from neutral and into 1st... *slight gunk*.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I hear and mildly feel a "gunk" when the car is stationary, and I'm going into 1st. If you got to think of a scenario, think parallel parking the car. It doesn't grind or have difficulty going into 1st. Just that, when I move the shifter towards 1st, just before it goes in it *slight gunk*.

Think parallel parking the car. Goes out and check my spot, and I need to inch forward a bit. Steps back into the car, moves the shifter from neutral and into 1st... *slight gunk*.
Mine doesn't happen unless I put a load on the drivetrain. Have you tried different transmission fluids?

Quick Reply: Differential problems, maybe axles? Clunking and other symptoms