S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

differential question

Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential question

Ok, I took my car to the dealership to have the metal on metal sound diagnosed. It has only been happening for about a week. The dealership said that the noise is not coming from the bearings or the brakes, but probably from the differential. I have been reading the forum for people that have had differential problems. The dealership said that they are goign to change the differential fluids and hope that the noise goes away. I have not gotten any clunking noises, just the metal on metal (bad brake bads on rotors) noise. Is it possible that the change in differential fluid is all that is needed, or is it your experiences that the diff is gone?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is that loud, the fluid will not repair it.

BTW, ask them what brand of straight 90w oil they are using - this should be good for a laugh.

Have you serviced thge fluid regularly - if so at what intervals, and with what fluid?

I am starting to sense a trend here.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:30 PM

it wasn't terribly loud.. I just noticed it cause my radio didn't work for a while.. It didn't make any noise two weeks ago. I have had the car less than a month.. so i don't know when the fluids were changed before me.. Still think it is serious?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is as you described it (metal on metal), yes it is serious - but your dealer's response makes me believe you do not have a metal on metal problem in your diff. Is it a clang or a tick?

I doubt their solution will work - the older the fluid, the thicker it will be due to high temperature volatility - so fresh fluid will be thinner, and less likely to dampen noise.

Post what happens - this looks like a good one.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Please describe the sound. My rear wheel bearings went out, and it caused a metal scratching / squeaking sound that was speed dependant.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=192266
Old 03-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BTW, take note of what RR said about the oil. Honda doesn't have an appropriate gear oil on their shelves. There have been cases where Honda dealers have put in their VTM oil, which is incorrect for the S2000.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 AM

The rear diff is pretty noisy... it's got a nice whine to it. Mine has made that sound since day one. It's not very loud, but it's there...
Old 03-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Ok.. the dealer called me back and said that the fluid change didn't change the sound.. He said the rear diff is gone and will cost 4k to fix it.. I said forget it. It is a metal on metal sound, not a clank. You can barely hear it when the top is down, but when the top is up, and the radio is off, you can hear it. Sounds like really bad brake bads on rotors, but without ever touching the brakes. Sounds worst from about 10mph to about 50mph.. My car is out of warranty, so honda won't cover it. I refuse to pay 4 thousand to fix something that shouldn't go on the car this fast. I bought a honda because of reliability... so far this has been the most unrealiable car i have purchased..... not a good sign
Old 03-23-2004, 08:53 AM

oh... and I dont' know what kinda oil they used yet, cause i have not picked up the car from the dealer yet..
Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shingles
Ok.. the dealer called me back and said that the fluid change didn't change the sound.. He said the rear diff is gone and will cost 4k to fix it.. I said forget it. It is a metal on metal sound, not a clank. You can barely hear it when the top is down, but when the top is up, and the radio is off, you can hear it. Sounds like really bad brake bads on rotors, but without ever touching the brakes. Sounds worst from about 10mph to about 50mph.. My car is out of warranty, so honda won't cover it. I refuse to pay 4 thousand to fix something that shouldn't go on the car this fast. I bought a honda because of reliability... so far this has been the most unrealiable car i have purchased..... not a good sign

Quick Reply: differential question