S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: replacing secondary Oxygen Sensor

Old 09-30-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default DIY: replacing secondary Oxygen Sensor

This is a DIY to replace bad secondary O2 sensor with Bosch part# 15734. why not use OEM? from www.automedicsupply.com, OEM type Denso is $161.99 or walker is $129.99. the OEM from honda? I heard it's a bargain at $240. Hmmm... universal Bosch is about $65 from www.oxygensensorwholesale.com. BTW, universal O2 sensor by walker is $59 from www.automedicsupply.com.

I didn't know but the Bosch does provide nice little connector device and the color of wires are identical to OEM.

tools needed:
jack stand.
wire cutter - good one.
wire stripper.
22mm wrench or oxygen sensor removal tool.
electrical tape & pair of scissors are good to have item but not required.

take a look at following picture.

this is how you know your O2 is bad. O2S - I believe secondary. O2P I believe it's Primary which is before Cat. BTW, don't pay attention to other error...

at this point, it's good to jack your S up and put it on the jack stand. have it as high as possible and secure it.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:39 PM

this is the Bosch O2 sensor package.

it contains, O2 sensor.. Duh...

and connectors. I left this picture to be larger so you can see wiring table.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:44 PM

well.... this picture says it all.. that's bad secondary O2 sensor and I cut it about 1 inch from the sensor. also, I stripped the cover of remaining wire about 3 inches from where I cut it.

this is the comparison of the O2 sensors.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I recently got a quote for a Honda O2 sensor--what a rip off. Good info, Nibble. Just bought one off of www.oxygensensorwholesale.com.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:06 PM

using the connector is fairly easy. first, cut the wire about 1 foot from new O2 sensor. that black tube thingy has 4 individual hole. Put each wire through.

oh...by now, the wire cover must be bothering you a lot. it will try to push that connector body out. I pressed the cover all the way and taped it with wiring tape. also, I put some electrical tape around O2S and wire cover.

there are 8 of those yellow thingy also known as "seal". insert each wire through so "unribbed" end of the seal is facing connector body.

now, open one of the gray tube, strip off about 1/2 inch of a wire, put that wire through the opened cap, put the wire in the body of grey tube, and close it. I was doubting how secure it would be but it was quite secure. do this for all 4 wires individually.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it didn't come out of the CAT beat up like that....
Old 09-30-2004, 06:26 PM

hey... I wasn't done yet..

once that is done, crawl back under the car, put oem wires through connector cap. make sure order of the wire is as same as the other side. put seals and grey connectors using same method as the other side. don't worry about white wires. what I did was I had black and grey wires on opposite corner and 2 white wires on other opposite corner. I'm sure you'll use one you are comfortable with.

once that is done, press the cap to secure the connector. you'll have to press it very firm. remember the tape around the wire cover? I took it out and put it around the top of gap between connector body and cap.

following is the installed O2 sensor. it was easier to work with before installing O2S but it was little pain to install it because wires were twisting. So I twisted the wire opposite direction before installing it and it worked like a charm.

check for leak and reset the ECU.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:32 PM

now you are done. don't forget to lower your car.

it took me about 1 1/2 hrs. but I had to take pictures. So I think I can do this in about an hour. $100 saving for 1hr labor is not so bad.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by hecash,Sep 30 2004, 09:49 PM
Next time try this.
that also sounds good but I prefer it this way since,

1) I could not get the the OEM connector. (I couldn't raise it enough)
2) It is "rated" replacement for this.
3) Bosch looks stronger.

not sure how but that O2S was beat up like that from CAT. I hope it lasts longer than OEM
Old 09-30-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is good "Technical" stuff. Moving.

Quick Reply: DIY: replacing secondary Oxygen Sensor