S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY starter install revision...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY starter install revision...

Hello,

I recently dug in my car to try to install the starter. I didn't unbolt the auto tensioner, i was able to pull out the alternator without taking it off.

Next part, I followed the "DIY Starter thread" in the FAQ section, as it said to remove the intake manifold bracket, top and bottom 14mm bolts.

I can now reach the lower starter bolt, but how does one reach the upper starter bolt???? I tried to make a super long extention to try to reach the bolt through the alternator side but it sits in a bend and I cant exert any force.

I can't even fit my hand in there let alone a socket or a wrench. Can anyone give me a heads up on as to how to remove the upper starter bolt??

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

30" or so extension, and a 14mm swivel socket.

It should be quite easy if you have the alternator out.

use a penlight, and put it down between the 3rd and 4th intake runner.

Now, look down between the 2ND and 3RD intake runner...you will see the upper starter bolt. If you can leave the penlight in place shinning on the bolt, you can now step back to the front of the car and see it clearly. the pathway to the bolt through the wires and hoses will become very clear. Just look for the light.

MOST IMPORTANT....the knock sensor is in close proximity to where you will be running the extension. If you so much as even TOUCH the connector for the knock sensor, you will insatantly break this $150 part.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM

I followed Billman's direction for seeing the bolt and it is the only way to see it. One the AP1 I pulled out my top starter bolt was painted red, it made it easy to spot. Once you know where it is, you will find that removal is doable. He is right about the knock sensor. I removed mine before trying the starter bolt and still wound up breaking it. I think it takes a 24mm deep socket(don't quote me).

Bill
Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM
RFW

Default Starter Removal Frustration!

Hi.... new guy here!
I have a 2004 AP2 that makes the famous starter screech, and am getting a bit frustrated in trying to get the starter out! I have removed all the air intake and filter tupperware, as well as the alternator and tensioner, and also I have managed to remove the nut that attaches the main positive cable to the end of the solenoid (there are so many hoses and wires in the area that I had to go in from the front to get the nut off).... it was impossible to get at it from the bottom with a ratchet wrench or a socket.

Next, I am trying to remove the small wire/connector from the solenoid, but it seems impossible. It is on the other side of the solenoid, and therefore not visible. Also, it is hard to grab and I simply cannot get enough of a grip to pull it off. Any suggestions? I also want to remove the connector to the plug and wire to the knock sensor, but it is impossible to see, so I have to feel for it, and therefore not obvious to know what to grab to remove it.

The good news is that it appears easy (or at least doable!) to remove the upper and lower main bolts, although I am not at all sure if there is enough room to get the starter out the bottom!

Any suggestions? I really wonder if the AP2 cars have more hoses and wiring in the way than the AP1 cars, because it is totally impossible to "reach under the intake manifold" to access things as one poster stated!

Thanks for your help,

Bob.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 PM

Starter comes out the bottom very quickly.

Upper starter bolt is the only work required up top.

Then go underneath and finish up.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM
RFW

Originally Posted by Billman250
Starter comes out the bottom very quickly.

Upper starter bolt is the only work required up top.

Then go underneath and finish up.
Thank you! Have you any suggestions on how to remove the single wire that plugs into the solenoid? No matter how hard I have tried (and I've spent several frustrating hours trying), I simply cannot grasp the connector with enough "purchase" to be able to pull it out.... even though my fingers are quite slim. I assume this must be pulled straight back to release it?

By the way, I gotta say that the S2000 is WAY harder to work on than my good old S600 I had and drove daily for 18 years!

Thanks for anything you can suggest!

Bob.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM

The pictures and descriptions above appear to be for an AP1. The AP2 is different with the most significant difference being the addition of the ABS which gets in the way on the top and the bottom. The starter will not come out the bottom on the AP2. I just completed the second starter replacement on my 2004 AP2.Following are revisions to the above steps for the AP2:

Step 2) He means to remove the air intake box around the air cleaner, not the intake manifold.

Step 4) Remove the entire alternator. This will create the beginning of the hole for the starter to come out the top and allow room for you to reach the solenoid wires. You will look at it and think that there is no way that the starter is coming out through all that, but it does.

Step 5) The wires need to be removed from the alternator hole because the ABS blocks the reach from the side.Remove the support bracket for the throttle cable, this will allow a small access clearance for your hand to reach down.The starter signal wire (spade connector) does pull straight off, if you can’t grab it with your fingers try looping a long string around it to help pull it off.

Step 6) I didn’t unplug the knock sensor. It didn’t seem to be a problem and I thought the plug might add a little protection.

Step 7) With the alternator out of the way this is probably a little easier but still interesting, but not bad. I wrapped the socket with tape to make sure I did not loose it in there. I actually found it more challenging to get the bolt back in than to remove it. I couldn’t reach the hole with the bolt in my hand so I put a piece of paper over the socket and stuffed the head of the bolt in so that it wouldn’t fall out and then used the extension to reach in. Of course, I couldn’t see the target hole now so my wife helped by directing me from a side view.

Step 10) Not required

Steps 11) and 12) You need to go back up top as the starter will not fit past the ABS plumbing. Once up top it gets real interesting. It doesn’t appear to be possible, but it is. Use some cords or straps to pull everything you can out of the way to make room for the starter to come through. I wasn’t able to make a clear path but it helped. Remove hoses and wiring from clips as much as you can. Reach down and carefully pull the starter toward you, beware of the knock sensor. Pull it out with the solenoid at 12:00 to 1:00. As is comes up, the top mounting hole side will be blocked by a large black bracket supporting the intake manifold and the lower mounting hole side will be blocked by a coolant hose. Push the hose down to the right and wedge the lower side out first and then push the starter down to the right to clear the bracket (probably better to remove this bracket).Thread Tools

Old 03-20-2018, 06:20 PM
RFW

Thanks, thestreetsrhere,for the helpful writeup and the GREAT photos! I had never occurred to me that much of my problem in gettign the starter out, was because of differences between AP1 and AP2 versions. Once again.... many thanks

Bob.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RFW
Thanks, thestreetsrhere,for the helpful writeup and the GREAT photos! I had never occurred to me that much of my problem in gettign the starter out, was because of differences between AP1 and AP2 versions. Once again.... many thanks

Bob.
Thanks Guys. Trying this on my AP2 this weekend. So what I am hearing is that with the AP2, there is not reason to go underneath? I am surprised @billman still says go underneath.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 AM

I remove the air box lid only, to make room for the extension, and remove the upper starter bolt.

After that 2 minute job, up on the lift and the starter is out in 5 more minutes.

Quick Reply: DIY starter install revision...