S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Vented Aluminum Hood

Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually gotta disagree strongly w/ you about bring fresh air in vs. letting heat out. A number of us down in FL have done this mod, and it makes a tremendous difference. My coolant temps dropped around 40F. I'm running a pretty serious turbo setup, so that helps a bunch.

Also as to people worrying about the engine bay getting wet; it's really a non-issue. Now, I don't like to drive in the rain b/c a) i have no traction and b) i don't like having to repolish my engine bay; but i've been in some very serious downpoars w/ both sides vented and had zero issues.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by S|2ocK,Mar 7 2007, 12:30 AM
stock airbox has a hole in it, and a baffle that prevents water anyways, unless you drive into a pond.
haha I drive my S through ponds almost daily
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine bringing more fresh and colder air into the engine bay would do a better trick of cooling the coolant temperature and everything else than letting the heat out.

It's like letting a hot towel sit to be cool vs blowing cold air in it to cool.

by the way, JCA, how are you liking that inline pro kit?

have you got your 1/4 time yet? how does it handle? I'm looking into it, since any bolt on i get wont even equal to 80whp without spending a small fortune on engine mods.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Trust me, it's not cool air coming in At idle you can hold your hand over the rearmost vents and the air will almost burn it. Ask around in the FL forums as a bunch of us have done this mod. Everyone will confirm that it's letting a ton of heat out.

As far as the inline kit, overall i'm pretty happy w/ it. You'll not make nearly the hp/psi as w/ say the lovefab kit, but you won't be cracking your manifold either. I have had problems w/ studs backing out of the downpipe and turbo mounts, but inline has solved that issue so all is good.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Subscribed.

Maybe I'll have to try and get in touch with Gearhead and see if he can help me out with this since he is local...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For hot air to be coming out cool air has got to be coming in from somewhere
Hot air rise under atmospheric conditions so stood still the hot air will pile out the top.

On the move I guess air pressure over the bonnet could force cool air in the vent, it just means the hot air will escape elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Mar 8 2007, 04:21 AM

Hot air rise under atmospheric conditions so stood still the hot air will pile out the top.

On the move I guess air pressure over the bonnet could force cool air in the vent, it just means the hot air will escape elsewhere.
High Presure -----> Low Presure, hot air is less dense so it has a higher overall presure then cold air therefore the heat must go out to the cold not the other way around. Unless your moving then cold air could be forced into the engine bay!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by S|2ocK,Mar 6 2007, 09:30 PM
stock airbox has a hole in it, and a baffle that prevents water anyways, unless you drive into a pond.
Yeah but Gearhead has a prm intake and the vent is right on top of the intake opening
Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey k,Mar 8 2007, 01:21 AM
The engine bay isn't exactly sealed. If hot air is coming out the top, cold air will be drawn in from the bottom. Just like a chimney.

If the car is moving, there will be low pressure on top of the hood and high pressure in the grille, so air will naturally circulate that way.

It probably has the effect of increasing aero drag, but it's not like the S2000 is aerodynamically clean anyway.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GEARHEAD,Mar 22 2006, 07:31 AM
Where did you get the Perforated Aluminum for this guys vents? Just curious... I am about to take on this mod myself! Wish me luck I will post pics!

Quick Reply: DIY: Vented Aluminum Hood